Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem compiling .cpp program with gcc

Hi all,

I would like to compile a .cpp (main.cpp) program with my MacBook Air M1, with gcc, with the command:

gcc main.cpp

But, even with an "hello world" program I am not able to do that for this error (complete error log in the file):

ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture arm64
clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

What I've noticed is that if I try to compile a .c program it doesn't give me an error and everything goes well.

Details about gcc version:

gcc --version
Configured with: --prefix=/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr --with-gxx-include-dir=/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/usr/include/c++/4.2.1
Apple clang version 12.0.5 (clang-1205.0.22.9)
Target: arm64-apple-darwin21.1.0
Thread model: posix
InstalledDir: /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin

I don't know what to do. It would be great if someone will answer me. Thanks in advance.

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Nov 2, 2021 1:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2021 4:26 AM

In Apple's Command Line tools, gcc is not GNU C, but rather a link to clang for legacy purposes. Just compile your C++ program as:

clang++ -O -o foo main.cpp [-stdlib=libc++ ] [-std=c++17 ]
./foo

Implicitly, the above command finds and uses the standard C++ library without you needing to involve either of the [ ] options.

If you want to see the list of supported C++ standards, either look at the clang man page or:

clang++ main.cpp -std=foo

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2021 4:26 AM in response to jack_9862

In Apple's Command Line tools, gcc is not GNU C, but rather a link to clang for legacy purposes. Just compile your C++ program as:

clang++ -O -o foo main.cpp [-stdlib=libc++ ] [-std=c++17 ]
./foo

Implicitly, the above command finds and uses the standard C++ library without you needing to involve either of the [ ] options.

If you want to see the list of supported C++ standards, either look at the clang man page or:

clang++ main.cpp -std=foo

Problem compiling .cpp program with gcc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.