Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exporting Photos Order

Hi,

I would like to export my photos from the Photos app on my MacBook to the internal storage in order to free up space in iCloud. When I do this however, the order they export in is not the same as the order in the Photos app, making it difficult to locate a particular photo.

Please could you advise how to ensure exported photos maintain the same order as they appear in the Photos app.

MacBook

Posted on Aug 6, 2020 4:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2020 9:09 PM

Once photos leave the organized environment of the Photos library, the concept of order becomes dependent on what you use to view them. In Finder, for example, you can view a folder of files in order by file name (perhaps the most common), in order by size, or in order by one of several date fields (such as created, last modified, and last opened). There is no field for "the order they were in when they were in Photos" or "the order I wanted them in".

The usual way to be sure that you can view a group of photos in a particular order is to arrange that they carry file names that reflect that order, then view them later by filename. Photos provides tools to rename items as they are exported: the File Naming section of the Export settings. "Sequential" and "Album Name With Number" can both be useful.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 8, 2020 9:09 PM in response to andymorgan-harrison

Once photos leave the organized environment of the Photos library, the concept of order becomes dependent on what you use to view them. In Finder, for example, you can view a folder of files in order by file name (perhaps the most common), in order by size, or in order by one of several date fields (such as created, last modified, and last opened). There is no field for "the order they were in when they were in Photos" or "the order I wanted them in".

The usual way to be sure that you can view a group of photos in a particular order is to arrange that they carry file names that reflect that order, then view them later by filename. Photos provides tools to rename items as they are exported: the File Naming section of the Export settings. "Sequential" and "Album Name With Number" can both be useful.

Exporting Photos Order

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.