Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac software not installing

So my grandfather gave me in his Mac and I need to factory reset it so I erase the hard drive and go to reinstall macOS and it says the server cannot be found

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Aug 6, 2020 8:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2020 8:29 PM

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac

Factory reset of your Mac - Apple Support

Internet/Network Recovery of El Capitan or Later on a Clean Disk

This will erase the drive and install the original factory macOS.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately, at or before the chime, hold down the (Command-Option-Shift-R) keys until a globe appears.
  2. The Utility Menu will appear in from 5-20 minutes. Be patient.
  3. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  4. When Disk Utility loads select the target drive (out-dented entry w/type and size) from the side list.
  5. Click on the Erase button in Disk Utility's toolbar. A panel will drop down.
  6. Set the partition scheme to GUID.
  7. Set the Format type to APFS (SSDs, only if installing Mojave or Catalina ) or Mac OS Extended, (Journaled.)
  8. Provide a volume name, usually "Macintosh HD."
  9. Click on the Apply button, then click on the Done button when it activates.
  10. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  11. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

Upon completion, you can upgrade macOS. For 2012 models and later, you should see How to upgrade to macOS Catalina.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 6, 2020 8:29 PM in response to justice60

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac

Factory reset of your Mac - Apple Support

Internet/Network Recovery of El Capitan or Later on a Clean Disk

This will erase the drive and install the original factory macOS.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately, at or before the chime, hold down the (Command-Option-Shift-R) keys until a globe appears.
  2. The Utility Menu will appear in from 5-20 minutes. Be patient.
  3. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  4. When Disk Utility loads select the target drive (out-dented entry w/type and size) from the side list.
  5. Click on the Erase button in Disk Utility's toolbar. A panel will drop down.
  6. Set the partition scheme to GUID.
  7. Set the Format type to APFS (SSDs, only if installing Mojave or Catalina ) or Mac OS Extended, (Journaled.)
  8. Provide a volume name, usually "Macintosh HD."
  9. Click on the Apply button, then click on the Done button when it activates.
  10. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  11. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

Upon completion, you can upgrade macOS. For 2012 models and later, you should see How to upgrade to macOS Catalina.

Mac software not installing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.