Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Image Capture doesn't use full-resolution photo from iPhone

Hi,

I recently realized that my iPhone had been configured to save photos to iCloud, and I didn't realize this until my iCloud storage got filled up, so I used Image Capture to import all of the photos and movies from my iPhone to my Mac (running Catalina). After doing this, and verifying that the image copies looked good, I did the "Disable and Delete" on my iPhone, which pretty much emptied my iCloud storage. I then received an email stating that:

"iCloud Photos has been disabled on all your devices and new photos and videos are no longer uploading to iCloud."

which I expected, followed by:

"Original format, full resolution versions of your photos and videos are not stored on your devices. You must download your full resolution photos and videos to at least one device before they are deleted from iCloud Photos in 30 days."

which surprised me, because I didn't think that I had specified "optimized storage" for my iPhone. But to be safe, I went to icloud.com, selected everything in the "Photos" section and downloaded them to my Mac. After the download completed, I decided to compare the file sizes of some of the photos between the versions transferred via Image Capture and the iCloud website download, and to my surprise, some of the photos transferred via Image Capture had a smaller file size. I hadn't expected this, but is this the way that Image Capture works, that it or the iPhone isn't "smart" enough to access the original resolution version of a photo? Or might there have been an option I'm not aware of that would have allowed me to specifically request a full-resolution version of each photo to be retrieved prior to the transfer to my Mac, if this needed to be done?

Thanks,

Ken

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 6, 2020 10:08 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Aug 10, 2020 8:15 AM in response to Kenneth Hjulstrom

Hey Kenneth,

We understand you didn't get the full resolution photos when using Image Capture to transfer your photos.

This would actually be expected if you have your iPhone set to optimize iPhone storage with regard to your photos stored in iCloud.

Instead of using Image Capture, the best way to ensure that your photos are also appearing on your Mac is to enable iCloud Photos on the Mac as well. That way they automatically appear there without needing to manually transfer them. For help with setting that up, check out: Set up and use iCloud Photos

Also, in order to transfer the full resolution photos from your iPhone, you would need to have selected "Download and Keep Originals" for your iCloud Photos and also have enough storage space on your iPhone in order to store all of the full resolution photos.

We hope this information helps you out with managing your photos moving forward.

Take care!

Image Capture doesn't use full-resolution photo from iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.