You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using early 2008 iMac in Target Mode to access corrupt hard drive

My early 2008 24 inch iMac will not boot up. I suspect a faulty drive. Am I able to put it into Target Mode and access the drive via another Mac? It has two Firewire ports (400 and 800). And I can get it to show the Firewire symbol on the screen when I boot it while holding down the 'T' key.

I now need to know whether to buy the cables necessary to connect to another Mac if what I have done so far is compatible with accessing the drive.

I had read elsewhere that Target Mode was only available on later 2009 iMacs but this seemed to be referring to using the old iMac as a second screen.

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Aug 7, 2020 9:13 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2020 9:57 AM

The general answer is, Yes. However, if the drive is corrupted or damaged, it may not be accessible. To connect it to another computer, you will need a computer that can be connected to a Firewire port. There is a Firewire to TB2 adapter but none for Firewire to TB3/USB-C ports. You will find all sorts of adapters, docks, hubs, and cables at Amazon.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 7, 2020 9:57 AM in response to southsalemkiwi

The general answer is, Yes. However, if the drive is corrupted or damaged, it may not be accessible. To connect it to another computer, you will need a computer that can be connected to a Firewire port. There is a Firewire to TB2 adapter but none for Firewire to TB3/USB-C ports. You will find all sorts of adapters, docks, hubs, and cables at Amazon.

Using early 2008 iMac in Target Mode to access corrupt hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.