Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4K 24 FPS Issue (stuttering) with Netflix has not been fixed (still defective)

Are you ever going to fix the stuttering issue regarding the 24 frame per

second with Netflix? 

Is the upcoming Apple TV 4K will be defective also or is the issue going to

be fixed? 

This issue has been going on for a long time and Apple staff is well aware

of the issue.

Posted on Aug 7, 2020 9:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2020 7:43 PM

I'm a little bit surprised when you say "almost all users".

Please check the AVSforum website and you'll see how many times this issue has been brought up which is really frustrating.

John Archer from Forbes magazine has also informed Apple of the issue officially and after soooo many updates to ATV 4K, this issue is still there.

Apple IS NOT working fine with 24 fps materials, it converts 24 fps to 23.976 fps.

Please read Apple TV 4K related forums more often or please read the emails directly sent to apple regarding this issue. As an example, I put a link for you to just one of those forums where you can see many people complaining about this issue dating back to 2018 and Apple kept ignoring the issue. As of right now Apple TV 4K is a defective product since it is not able to output correct frame per second of Netflix and Amazon series and movies which are made in 24 fps.

The problem is that Apple TV 4K does not support 24 fps, but it does 23.976 fps. But that doesn't solve the problem with 24 fps movies and shows.

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/apple-tv-4k-lacks-support-for-24-000-video.2961262/

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 8, 2020 7:43 PM in response to Urquhart1244

I'm a little bit surprised when you say "almost all users".

Please check the AVSforum website and you'll see how many times this issue has been brought up which is really frustrating.

John Archer from Forbes magazine has also informed Apple of the issue officially and after soooo many updates to ATV 4K, this issue is still there.

Apple IS NOT working fine with 24 fps materials, it converts 24 fps to 23.976 fps.

Please read Apple TV 4K related forums more often or please read the emails directly sent to apple regarding this issue. As an example, I put a link for you to just one of those forums where you can see many people complaining about this issue dating back to 2018 and Apple kept ignoring the issue. As of right now Apple TV 4K is a defective product since it is not able to output correct frame per second of Netflix and Amazon series and movies which are made in 24 fps.

The problem is that Apple TV 4K does not support 24 fps, but it does 23.976 fps. But that doesn't solve the problem with 24 fps movies and shows.

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/apple-tv-4k-lacks-support-for-24-000-video.2961262/

Aug 9, 2020 5:53 AM in response to shahrokhfromtucson

Your link is for a post on home sharing apps like Infuse, MrMC, Plex. It has to do with DVD/BR rips, not commercial streaming services like Netflix.

I devote some of my spare time to ASC, I will not be scouring other forums. If you have an issue, you can bring all its details here. We’re here to try and help you with your issue, not other people’s issues on other forums, who are out of reach for follow-up questions, and may or may not have said issue anymore.

Aug 9, 2020 10:33 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Well, I started that thread over at AVS and it does apply to Netflix and iTunes as well! There is simply no support for integer framerates like. 24.000.

Myself and others reported this behavior via https://www.apple.com/feedback/appletv.html

just the affected iTunes movies:

The Florida Project

The Idol

The House That Jack Built

Arrow movies on iTunes?

Back to the Future

I Am Mother

12 Years a Slave

Cloud Atlas

Hacksaw Ridge

Iron Man

Southpaw

Valerian

Wind River

What Happened to Monday

The Hateful Eight

Relatos Salvajes

Das Finstere Tal

Autoreiji

Uncut Gems (added 5-30-20)

For Netflix there is a list as well. Just some of those titles:

DARK (all seasons)

Bird Box

El Camino

Extraction

If you need any addition information, I’m happy to provide them.

Again, this does apply to all apps and has nothing to do with our TV settings or something else. This has been confirmed many times already and we don’t need to do this again. Please bring this up the chain and fix this.

Aug 9, 2020 12:46 PM in response to Sledgehamma

Specifically what the official channels.

Reading your post it may be very possible that your network may not have adequate bandwidth. Bandwidth is not speed so please do not let the two subjects get confused.

To get an idea if it's a network issue at your home please answer the following questions:

• What is the approximate square footage of your home?
  • Does you home have more that 1 level?
  • Please inventory the amount of devices that share your network. Please include cell phones, TVs, Home Theater Receivers, Alexa devices, computers, tablets, Apple TVs etc....
  • Do you currently use a Mesh network or do you use a traditional modem and router?

Aug 9, 2020 9:50 AM in response to Urquhart1244

What you're saying is not true. Read the link title which has nothing to do with what you're saying, it is all about Netflix and Amazon programs made in 24.00 fps. It is about Apple TV not being able to output 24.00 fps. I'm sure you didn't even check the forum and you're just guessing.

It is very interesting when you say: "We’re here to try and help you with your issue, not other people’s issues on other forums". You know about my issue, please tell me when Apple is going to fix this issue?

You see, whether this is just my issue or others, the fact is that there is an issue and Apple keeps ignoring the issue.

While you know about the issue, you still think it is my screen that causes stuttering.

Just FIX it. That is all you need to do.

I know this is pointless and Apple is not going to fix it, but I had to bring it up since it is an annoying issue.

Would you like me to give you a list of all the programs that have this issue (in case, you already don't know)?

Aug 9, 2020 10:08 AM in response to shahrokhfromtucson

I can confirm this is an issue with streaming apps on the Apple TV. This happens while streaming Bird Box and the Witcher on Netflix using an Apple TV when frame rate matching turned on. I notice a stutter about once a minute where the content has to sync back up. This does not happen when viewing the same content through my LG OLED’s native Netflix app. This problem appears limited to content which has a native frame rate of exactly 24fps. Please advise.

Aug 9, 2020 12:40 PM in response to Sledgehamma

There are a LOT of highly experienced end users that post on these forums. You likely just assumed that because their post appeared that they know what they are talking about that they are Apple staff, they are not. The experienced users that answer questions are simply trying to help. We human like you and sometimes we make errors, however many times, the people that answer questions get enjoyment out of helping another.

Aug 9, 2020 12:54 PM in response to rkaufmann87

This has nothing to do with the network. Since you don't represent Apple tech support, many thanks for your help and suggestion, but network is not the issue.

I have 300mbps Cox internet and I get around 120mpbs on my devices.

The same program works fine with my OLED Apps with no issues, it is only the Apple TV 4K that has this issue.

Network is more than fine.

Aug 9, 2020 1:05 PM in response to rkaufmann87

I really appreciate that you try to help, I do. As I already mentioned, it has been tested and confirmed many many times that the issue arise due to the Apple TV’s inability to output integer framerates.

It has nothing to do with the network, TV settings, time of day or anything else. You can easily replicate this with local content so that you don’t have the network constraint. You can watch said content and see the issue for yourself.

What I also did in the thread was showing that content hast 24.000 FPS but the ATV outputs it as 23.976. Again, nothing to do with network or anything else.

Please turn off any motion post processing on your TV and enable match frame rate:

Just go to episode 8 of DARK and watch the first scene when the boy drives on his bicycle. Around the 42second mark is a dropped frame.

or just watch one of the listed movies. You can run a stop watch next to it so that you can see that the stutter occurs every ~42 seconds.

Aug 9, 2020 5:37 PM in response to shahrokhfromtucson

I have the same issue and can confirm this issue.

Apple TV 4K does not properly support 24.000 frames per second 4K content when the "frame-rate match" feature is used. Instead the Apple TV converts this material to 23.976 FPS before output to the connected display device.

This results in a small (but quite noticeable) "stutter" or "skip" in the video playback of the media stream. It's rather annoying to those who are sensitive to this kind of thing, as well as those with large displays where the errors are more noticeable.

Increasing amounts of content are being authored in 24.000 FPS instead of 23.976 FPS. Netflix has a large number of premium titles authored in 24.000 FPS such as "The Irishman", "The Witcher" and many others.

Apple, please provide this simple software fix. If a connected display supports 24.000 FPS and the content is native 24.000 FPS please output 24.000 FPS to the connected television.

Aug 9, 2020 5:55 PM in response to Rodlino

This forum is a little unique compared to any other forums in that some users blame anything (screen, bandwidth, ...) other than the one responsible for the problem which is Apple not fixing the issue and selling a defective unit.

I mentioned that this problem came up dated back in 2018, they don't realize that since 2018 all other options been tried and tested before we got here.

But if Apple doesn't have a Rep here, then there's no solution here either.

Apple TV 4K 24 FPS Issue (stuttering) with Netflix has not been fixed (still defective)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.