Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Corrupted Numbers file won't open

I was working with a Numbers file (version 10.1), Mac OS Catalina (10.15.6), that I keep on an external drive. The drive fell off the desk and physically disconnected while the file was open with unsaved edits. I got a warning that my recent edits might not be saved. When I remounted the drive and opened the file, what opened was a different file, not the one I was working on. If I close the file, quit and relaunch Numbers, and search for recent files to open, the same wrong file opens when I select the name of the apparently corrupted file.

If I do a Quick Look on the corrupted file in the Finder, the correct content of the apparently corrupted file is displayed including some recent edits, so it seems like the file is "there" but I can't open it with Numbers.

Any ideas on how to save this file? (I can go to a Time Machine backup and reenter data, but I'd rather not if I don't have to.)

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Aug 7, 2020 11:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2020 11:17 AM

I solved this myself as follows: I made a copy of the corrupted file and then copied it off the external drive onto my MacBook Pro desktop. When I open the file on the desktop, the correct file opens. So, I've saved my information. I would still like someone expert on the Apple File System to explain what happened to my file and why a wrong file opens when I try to open the corrupted file.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 7, 2020 11:17 AM in response to James Griesemer

I solved this myself as follows: I made a copy of the corrupted file and then copied it off the external drive onto my MacBook Pro desktop. When I open the file on the desktop, the correct file opens. So, I've saved my information. I would still like someone expert on the Apple File System to explain what happened to my file and why a wrong file opens when I try to open the corrupted file.

Aug 7, 2020 11:38 AM in response to James Griesemer

Unfortunately, the solution didn't stick. It seems the copied file opened once, but then after opening, it won't open again. Since the file is not on the external drive, it seems the file icon points to nothing after that first opening, i.e. the file won't open at all. Numbers launches, but the file doesn't open. I can still see the content in Quick Look but even a copy of the copy to the desktop doesn't open.

Can someone please explain how a Quick Look could display the content while the file itself won't open? Thanks.

Corrupted Numbers file won't open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.