Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the formula for multiplying in Numbers? How can I multiply the sum of an entire column by a certain number?

What is the formula for multiplying in Numbers? How can I multiply the sum of an entire column by a certain number?

Posted on Aug 7, 2020 1:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2020 2:43 PM

Hi shamann,

The multiplication operator is * which Numbers will change to the multiplicaion sign when you type it in a formula. (The same translation occurs with the division operator ( / ), changed to the division sign ( ÷ ) when placed i a formula.

You can sum an entire column (excluding values in Header rows and Footer rows) with the SUM funcion.

With your values listed in column B and the multiplier value entered in cell C2, your formula would be: SUM(B)*C2

The formula could be placed in a Header row cell at the top of column B, in a Footer row cell at the bottom of column B, or in any cell on the table that is not in column B and is not cell C2.

Note: A table may have up to 5 Header rows and up to 5 Footer rows. These must be specifically defined as Header or Footer rows, using the Table menu's Header Rows or Footer rows items, or by using the pop-up menu opened by clicking the v between the row reference table and the table, seen in the image below.

Regards,

Barry

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 7, 2020 2:43 PM in response to shamann

Hi shamann,

The multiplication operator is * which Numbers will change to the multiplicaion sign when you type it in a formula. (The same translation occurs with the division operator ( / ), changed to the division sign ( ÷ ) when placed i a formula.

You can sum an entire column (excluding values in Header rows and Footer rows) with the SUM funcion.

With your values listed in column B and the multiplier value entered in cell C2, your formula would be: SUM(B)*C2

The formula could be placed in a Header row cell at the top of column B, in a Footer row cell at the bottom of column B, or in any cell on the table that is not in column B and is not cell C2.

Note: A table may have up to 5 Header rows and up to 5 Footer rows. These must be specifically defined as Header or Footer rows, using the Table menu's Header Rows or Footer rows items, or by using the pop-up menu opened by clicking the v between the row reference table and the table, seen in the image below.

Regards,

Barry

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.