Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cannot open gmail email acct on my Mac. says mail quit unexpectedly.

cannot open gmail email acct on my Mac. says mail quit unexpectedly. what to do?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 7, 2020 1:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2020 3:05 PM

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

If still no good Disconnect from the Internet, then start Mail, look for the last rec'd eMail.

Does Mail crash if no internet?

Quit Mail & login to your WebMail in a Browser, if possible delete any later eMails there after the last rec'd one on the Mac.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 7, 2020 3:05 PM in response to maggiew42

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

If still no good Disconnect from the Internet, then start Mail, look for the last rec'd eMail.

Does Mail crash if no internet?

Quit Mail & login to your WebMail in a Browser, if possible delete any later eMails there after the last rec'd one on the Mac.

Sep 1, 2020 10:44 AM in response to nik260

Thanks so much. Apple Support finally had me do the following and it worked!

How to fix iMac when it’s acting wonky:  pull power cord from back of Mac for 15 seconds, then plug back in.  Open Mac homepage, then shut down.  When off, push button on back left of Mac.  You should hear a start up sound twice when it comes back on.  The moment it restarts, quickly hold Option, Command, “P” and “R” all at same time.  Then check to see if things are working properly.  If not, shut down and do it again.

cannot open gmail email acct on my Mac. says mail quit unexpectedly.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.