Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble repairing Mac disk in Mac Utility

Hello,

I need some help repairing my Mac disk.

Tonight when I restarted my Mac (an old one from 9 years ago) the file icon with a question mark showed up. I googled and discovered that it meant my disk needed repairing.

I went through the suggested steps but got stuck when I tried first aid. See picture below. I clicked on the Mac OS X Base System and the first aid box appears (beside it is erase and restore up top) and there is a white box where I think my disks are supposed to appear and then the verify disk permissions and repair disk permissions and verify disk and repair disk buttons are all greyed out. I’m assuming there needs to be files in that white box that I can ‘perform’ first aid on.

Theres also no sidebar to select ‘show all devices’ from (as it said to do in instructions) I think because it’s an old version.

Any ideas what’s wrong? Or if I’m missing something/a step?

Thanks

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.10

Posted on Aug 7, 2020 1:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2020 4:00 PM

It looks like your internal hard drive is missing from the left pane so it has most likely failed. If the hard drive was seen it would appear above the SuperDrive. I would suggest replacing the drive with an SSD as it will improve system performance assuming if you feel it is worth spending money to keep the laptop running.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 7, 2020 4:00 PM in response to OldMacUser33

It looks like your internal hard drive is missing from the left pane so it has most likely failed. If the hard drive was seen it would appear above the SuperDrive. I would suggest replacing the drive with an SSD as it will improve system performance assuming if you feel it is worth spending money to keep the laptop running.

Aug 8, 2020 9:23 AM in response to OldMacUser33

Since the hard drive is not seen at all I'm not sure you will be able to access any data from the drive. If you don't have a backup, then your best option is to contact a professional data recovery service such as Drive Savers or Ontrack. Both vendors provide free estimates and both are recommended by Apple.

What is the exact model of your laptop? You can get this information by entering your serial number here:

https://checkcoverage.apple.com/

Trouble repairing Mac disk in Mac Utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.