Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a swollen Battery on my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) but I am not eligible for the replacement program as my model was purchased in July and not September.

However the issue is exactly the same like the models that got called back due to safety reasons. I do believe that the battery quality issue has effected earlier Mid 2015 models as well.

The Hong Kong support is not very helpful here, therefore I hope somebody from Apple Headquarters may look into this and give advice.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 7, 2020 4:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2020 11:07 AM

cgvs.info wrote:

However the issue is exactly the same like the models that got called back due to safety reasons.

So your battery has caught fire? If not, then you don't have the exact same issue.

I do believe that the battery quality issue has effected earlier Mid 2015 models as well.

Perhaps there are quality issues, but there is nothing we as users can do. The best you can do is provide product feedback to Apple. You can also check to see if you have any local consumer protection laws which may apply. A quality issue does not mean a fire safety issue.

The Hong Kong support is not very helpful here, therefore I hope somebody from Apple Headquarters may look into this and give advice.

The battery recall is for a very specific fire safety issue unlike the other free battery repair programs which are "Repair Extension Programs" which address non-safety issues such as swollen batteries or other defects in manufacturing. Apple has used the detailed information in manufacturing records and tests to determine which batteries are affected and which computers actually had them installed.

All electronics can have failures and defects over time. Batteries are even more complex because they also include chemicals inside them. Without proper care a battery can become damaged which is not the same as a manufacturing defect.

Not all battery issues are the same.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 8, 2020 11:07 AM in response to cgvs.info

cgvs.info wrote:

However the issue is exactly the same like the models that got called back due to safety reasons.

So your battery has caught fire? If not, then you don't have the exact same issue.

I do believe that the battery quality issue has effected earlier Mid 2015 models as well.

Perhaps there are quality issues, but there is nothing we as users can do. The best you can do is provide product feedback to Apple. You can also check to see if you have any local consumer protection laws which may apply. A quality issue does not mean a fire safety issue.

The battery recall is for a very specific fire safety issue unlike the other free battery repair programs which are "Repair Extension Programs" which address non-safety issues such as swollen batteries or other defects in manufacturing. Apple has used the detailed information in manufacturing records and tests to determine which batteries are affected and which computers actually had them installed.

All electronics can have failures and defects over time. Batteries are even more complex because they also include chemicals inside them. Without proper care a battery can become damaged which is not the same as a manufacturing defect.

Not all battery issues are the same.

I have a swollen Battery on my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) but I am not eligible for the replacement program as my model was purchased in July and not September.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.