Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After login keyboard doesnt work

So i have a Macbook air with OS catalina version 10.15.6 and everything is up to date as far as i know. I bought this macbook new in 2017. I never had any issues until one day i logged in and my keyboard just didnt work. I tried to reboot it and when I went to login in everything works. When i hit enter and login however, the keyboard ceases to work. This is my problem, every key works before I login, then stops working after i login. Ive tried numerous suggestions and none have fixed the problem. I have to use a usb keyboard and that just plain *****, especially when you login using the macbook keyboard and then have to use the usb keyboard once logged in. whats the issue? whats the fix. is there someway to diagnose the issue. I just dont get how it could work before login then not work after login what gives

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 7, 2020 4:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2020 12:03 AM

You stated that you have tried several things to fix this issue however I am not sure which methods you have tried. Here are some of my recommendations to address the issue. If I am duplicating the effort that you have already put in then please ignore.

1. Reset SMC by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset SMC. If that does not solve things then-
  2. Reset NVRAM/PRAM by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset NVRAM/PRAM. If that does not solve things then-
  3. Enter ➔ Safe Mode and see if the screen issue still exists in Safe mode. Log out of Safe Mode and then reboot computer. If that does not solve things then-
  4. Finally if none of the above works then you can enter ➔ macOS Recovery Mode and reinstall the macOS and see if that solves it.

Thats all I have for now. Beyond the above recommendations, You can have your MacBook Pro examined at the Apple Store or an Authorized Service Center when they open or contact ➔ Apple Support

Axel F.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 8, 2020 12:03 AM in response to Masondixon79

You stated that you have tried several things to fix this issue however I am not sure which methods you have tried. Here are some of my recommendations to address the issue. If I am duplicating the effort that you have already put in then please ignore.

1. Reset SMC by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset SMC. If that does not solve things then-
  2. Reset NVRAM/PRAM by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset NVRAM/PRAM. If that does not solve things then-
  3. Enter ➔ Safe Mode and see if the screen issue still exists in Safe mode. Log out of Safe Mode and then reboot computer. If that does not solve things then-
  4. Finally if none of the above works then you can enter ➔ macOS Recovery Mode and reinstall the macOS and see if that solves it.

Thats all I have for now. Beyond the above recommendations, You can have your MacBook Pro examined at the Apple Store or an Authorized Service Center when they open or contact ➔ Apple Support

Axel F.

After login keyboard doesnt work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.