Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WindowServer process using too much CPU

i am using a MBP 2012 with 4gb of DDR3 ram. I have been trying to fix an issue where the WindowServer process is eating most of my cpu, just by opening some windows. I have learned that the process has a lot to do with interfacing between the graphics hardware and that several things may be causing it. I have removed a few items of malware and reduced the transparency of the windows. I am trying to do everything I can before I determine that it’s just the higher demands of 10.15 on the older 2012 hardware. Please help!

Posted on Aug 8, 2020 8:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2020 12:29 PM

WindowServer is the process that draws everything on a Mac's display, but it really ought not to consume an inordinate amount of CPU time. Does the same thing happen in Safe Mode?

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

I have removed a few items of malware ...

How did you do that? A better question might be how you managed to install malware to begin with, but it raises the possibility that additional malware remains present.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 8, 2020 12:29 PM in response to Fuegomyeggo

WindowServer is the process that draws everything on a Mac's display, but it really ought not to consume an inordinate amount of CPU time. Does the same thing happen in Safe Mode?

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

I have removed a few items of malware ...

How did you do that? A better question might be how you managed to install malware to begin with, but it raises the possibility that additional malware remains present.

WindowServer process using too much CPU

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.