You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone data storage in email app

I have over 3 GB of data in my email app and I do not know how to delete it. I have deleted all emails and messages but nothing seems to delete data from the app

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 12

Posted on Aug 8, 2020 11:32 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2020 12:05 PM

Hi 1944Bill,

Thanks for getting in touch with Apple Communities. It seems to me that the Mail app size is over 3GB when you navigate on your iPhone to:

Settings > General > iPhone Storage > Mail

The solution here would be to remove the email account off your phone, then re-add it. This should "purge" all email data off your phone. I always do this when I see my Mail app storage getting too high.

The following steps can be followed to remove an email account off your iPhone:

1. Navigate to: Settings > Passwords & Accounts
  2. Click the email account name you want to remove
  3. Click "Delete Account". Note this will not delete any emails off that account. In other words, your emails will remain on your email provider's web mail, or any other app that is set up with that account.

You can follow the steps at the following link to set up the email account again:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201320

To reduce the rate that the Mail app consumes data on your iPhone's storage, you can disable the downloading of remote content. This means images and similar "rich content" will not load when you read an email:

1. Navigate to: Settings > Mail
  2. Under the "Messages" section, turn off "Load Remote Images"

Let me know if this advice helps. If you have any further questions or you feel I have misunderstood your query, feel free to reach out here.

Kind regards,

adh77

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 8, 2020 12:05 PM in response to 1944Bill

Hi 1944Bill,

Thanks for getting in touch with Apple Communities. It seems to me that the Mail app size is over 3GB when you navigate on your iPhone to:

Settings > General > iPhone Storage > Mail

The solution here would be to remove the email account off your phone, then re-add it. This should "purge" all email data off your phone. I always do this when I see my Mail app storage getting too high.

The following steps can be followed to remove an email account off your iPhone:

1. Navigate to: Settings > Passwords & Accounts
  2. Click the email account name you want to remove
  3. Click "Delete Account". Note this will not delete any emails off that account. In other words, your emails will remain on your email provider's web mail, or any other app that is set up with that account.

You can follow the steps at the following link to set up the email account again:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201320

To reduce the rate that the Mail app consumes data on your iPhone's storage, you can disable the downloading of remote content. This means images and similar "rich content" will not load when you read an email:

1. Navigate to: Settings > Mail
  2. Under the "Messages" section, turn off "Load Remote Images"

Let me know if this advice helps. If you have any further questions or you feel I have misunderstood your query, feel free to reach out here.

Kind regards,

adh77

iPhone data storage in email app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.