Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

extra backup HD, using TM

1) Is it better to encrypt the HDD before using it, by re-formatting it? Should do it in the GUID map or masterboot? Or should I fill it with the files and then encrypt it all with F.Vault?

2) If I use HD APFS Encrypted for that external extra back up, will I be able to read the files in an another mac? In Systems previous to 10.15 (catalina) ?

3) Can I use the TM for that extra backup (besides the TM permanently attached to my mac) choosing not to include the "system files and apps" and then choose whatever I want to back up using the symbols (+/-) or is it better to use a non apple back-up software for this extra backup, like SyncFolders, for instance?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 8, 2020 6:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2020 9:26 PM

1. Yes. Use GUID and Mac OS Extended (Journaled, Encrypted).
  2. Time Machine cannot use that format.
  3. Yes. A single backup drive can be used to back up multiple Macs.

Beware that excluding system files will preclude the ability to use that backup to completely restore that Mac should it become necessary. Excluding system files is not worth the small amount of space it would save.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 8, 2020 9:26 PM in response to marcy-20

1. Yes. Use GUID and Mac OS Extended (Journaled, Encrypted).
  2. Time Machine cannot use that format.
  3. Yes. A single backup drive can be used to back up multiple Macs.

Beware that excluding system files will preclude the ability to use that backup to completely restore that Mac should it become necessary. Excluding system files is not worth the small amount of space it would save.

Aug 8, 2020 9:29 PM in response to marcy-20

Hey there! Good questions!

Agreed it’s best to format a drive as encrypted during the initial erase/formatting of the device.

I don’t believe APFS is yet available for external drive formats yet, (unless that’s changed), but HFS (Mac OS Extended Journaled), should work just fine.

I’d only use Master Boot Record if you plan on also using it with Windows and Mac both. (And formatted as ExFAT),

And yes, although the backup drive is encrypted you can access the data on another Mac, (provided the OS or hardware on the Backup isn’t too old), you’d just need the encryption password in order to get to it, if you forget it, you’re going to have to erase it again,

You can also backup more than one Mac at a time, it’s best to make sure the Macs have different names to differentiate them on the external drive. (You can name your Mac in System Preferences > Sharing).

And if you still wanted to move the data from your encrypted data to another Mac selectively, you could Do that using Finder, but opening the external drive, (Which would require the same password), opening the Backups.backup folder, and opening the date of the backed up data you want to move.

Hope that helps!

https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/mac-help/mh21241/mac

Aug 8, 2020 8:22 PM in response to marcy-20

1. It's faster to encrypt the drive before use. Drive should use the GUID partition scheme and formatted APFS (SSDs) or JHFS+ (HDDs.)
  2. An encrypted drive can be used on any Mac, if the version of macOS is compatible with encrypted drives and you know the password.
  3. You can use any backup utility for your backups including Time Machine. However, I would recommend one of your backups should be a clone of the startup volume. For this chore I would recommend Carbon Copy Cloner of SuperDuper!.

extra backup HD, using TM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.