Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting photos in Photos - High CPU load and crashes of MacOs

Hello,

I am really trying to stay calm, I bought a 16 inch MBP in the beginning of this year and it is getting worse each time I use it, always starting from fresh installs...

So, I imported lots of photo backups, approx. 600 GB of data and now I am trying to remove the duplicates I got. I used two Apps from the Mac App Store which created albums with those duplicates.

When I try to delete those photos by using CMD + A my MBP is under full load for days, I thought myself ok, it has to be this way, fine.

But then photolibraryd crashed. I started all over again, I even put my Library on an external SSD after reading some forum posts about cpu load issues a.s.o.

When I try to delete 50 photos at a time it seems to work, but when I try more than 50 than "Deleting photos is stuck...forever!" I do not know if this has to do with the sqlite db or whatever has been used, but this is not acceptable.

But the best thing is: I got graphic glitches, some weird AMD something something driver issues when coming back to my MBP, today EVERYTHING crashed, I lost bluetooth, Wifi, every process like accountsd on my MBP wanted my password for the keyring a.s.o. - this happened several times in a few minutes leaving the MBP unusable, I could not even open up a Terminal.

Has anyone else encountered such issues?

I am really angry spending so much money on a machine with such issues.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 9, 2020 2:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2020 9:58 AM

First try booting into Safe Mode (How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support) by booting with the Shift key held down. If successful try rebooting normally.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing some system cache cleaning, volume verifying and directory repairing. 

If the above fails boot into the Recovery volume (boot with the Command + R keys held down), launch Disk Utility and run First Aid on the boot drive. If you get any error message repeat until there's no error message. Reboot normally and test.

Once you've gotten the booting issue solved try the Photos library again. If it still crashes try double clicking on the library while holding down the Option+Command keys and repair the library.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 9, 2020 9:58 AM in response to daydayhh85

First try booting into Safe Mode (How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support) by booting with the Shift key held down. If successful try rebooting normally.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing some system cache cleaning, volume verifying and directory repairing. 

If the above fails boot into the Recovery volume (boot with the Command + R keys held down), launch Disk Utility and run First Aid on the boot drive. If you get any error message repeat until there's no error message. Reboot normally and test.

Once you've gotten the booting issue solved try the Photos library again. If it still crashes try double clicking on the library while holding down the Option+Command keys and repair the library.

Deleting photos in Photos - High CPU load and crashes of MacOs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.