Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos library could not be opened. (4103)

Hi. Just encountered an issue with Photos, and trying to looking for a way to fix it.

My iCloud storage 200GB got running short, mostly dominated by photos and videos.

I opened Photos on Mac, which shows me all the images. I selected all of it (8,000+), exported to external HDD (original media format, or whatever that was; can't confirm it right now as I can't open the app). After some time, I noticed that it only creates zero bytes files; after a quick research, it seems occurred because of Ex-Fat HDD I have rather than APFS. It's ridiculous, but that's not an issue.

So I found that out, then saw Photos writing over 9,000+ files on the disk, which doesn't make any sense. Since I found out that I cannot export images to HDD, I thought Photos is not helpful, so I quit the app. It shows me the message that it's exporting images (still?!) and I approve to cancel the job and quit the app. Then I tried to reopen the app, only ended up with the message :

"The library could not be opened.

Photos was unable to open the library “Photos Library.photoslibrary”. (4103)"

I tried creating a new library to see what's going on, but it only failed as :

"Unable to obtain photolibraryd XPC proxy for getLibraryServiceWithReply:. photolibraryd could have crashed"

So right now I can't open the Photos app right now.

I read the thread on Developer Forum that says it should be a temporary issue regarding a high amount of memory pressure. It's been a few hours and still can't open the app. I can't restart my Mac at this moment, so I cannot say about it, but thought I should leave it here before I do.

This may helps; oddly, internal drive has 123GB purgeable. That is the amount of the volume I expect from all the images.

Anyway, I couldn't find any answer for "The library could not be opened." with (4103) error. I also tried repairing a library, didn't work unfortunately.

So here I hope Photos will be opened after restart the computer, but not sure with it. If there's anyone who could explain or suggest anything regards to this issue, much appreciated.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Sep 5, 2021 7:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2021 12:00 AM

When you can, restart your mac.

If that doesn't fix it then restart in safe mode

If that doesn't fix it come back.

Similar questions

2 replies

Photos library could not be opened. (4103)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.