Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not able to open a new Photos library.

I have a library with ~30k items in it, all sync'd with iCloud Photo Library. The other day, my library wouldn't update and the status line at the bottom said 'Restoring from iCloud'. This remained like this for several days and nothing changed. After reading some posts on Reddit, I decided to repair the library via command +option clicking. Progress went form 0-99% in roughly 2 hours. It stayed at 99% for several days. While working on other tasks, my Mac completely froze up and I ended up having to hard boot it... now the problems have begun.

I am no longer able to open Photos. Opening it gives the following error:

So I have turned off iCloud Photos in my System Preferences. I figured I'd just create a new library and turn iCloud back on, and let Photos download all the images again (knowing full well this will take weeks). I option clicked Photos, hit create new library, named it and saved it, and immediately got a similar error but for the newly created library:

At this point I cannot open Photos with any method. The newly created libraries are there, but if I try to open Photos via opening the library, I get the same error.

Any suggestions?

MacBook

Posted on Jun 29, 2020 9:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2020 3:00 PM

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

Similar questions

4 replies

Not able to open a new Photos library.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.