Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mp4 files playing audio only

When I open an mp4 file sent to me, it sometimes plays audio only. I have no idea how to open a file so I get both audio and video.

Right now, a file I opened is playing audio automatically before I even sign in on my lap top.

Does anyone know where I can go to find out how to download these files properly?

I'm being forced to choose a topic and guess is quick time, but may not.

MacBook Air 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Aug 9, 2020 3:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2020 4:50 AM

Are you saying that you have opened these files previously with audio + video,

and now, the very same files open only audio?

BTW, where are you downloading these mp4 files from?

I'm not sure what you mean by double audio? Maybe the file is playing twice? Because you opened it twice?

I'd suggest you quit (close) all the Quick Time and other apps and windows and files, then shut down and re-start your computer and start over.

Here is a resource for Quick Time

Open and play a file in QuickTime Player on Mac

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 9, 2020 4:50 AM in response to SGayleC

Are you saying that you have opened these files previously with audio + video,

and now, the very same files open only audio?

BTW, where are you downloading these mp4 files from?

I'm not sure what you mean by double audio? Maybe the file is playing twice? Because you opened it twice?

I'd suggest you quit (close) all the Quick Time and other apps and windows and files, then shut down and re-start your computer and start over.

Here is a resource for Quick Time

Open and play a file in QuickTime Player on Mac

Aug 9, 2020 4:14 AM in response to Siabh

Thanks for your reply but I am such a novice I really don't know what I have or haven't done. I've been downloading these files, with audio and video, for 3 months without much difficulty and was not aware of Quick time at all.

Right now I can't close the audio on the file and when I click on it in Finder, I sometimes get double audio.

I am a total dope about all of this so I need the most basic of instruction. Do you know any resources I can go to?

Mp4 files playing audio only

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.