Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie exporting - audio cuts off

Hi guys

I've got an mp4 file that I'm trying to split the audio and video of using iMovie. I've split the audio and video tracks, and deleted the video, but when I export the file as an mp3 (other formats have failed too) the audio only plays back up to a point, after which the rest of the file is silent. I can hear all the audio in iMovie, but not in the exported audio file.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 15, 2021 6:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2021 4:12 AM

Thanks Rich! I've tried deleting preferences, creating a new project, and choosing other audio formats, but no luck. I did however manage to find the below linked workaround - which is actually easier than using iMovie - so I'm sorted now:

https://setapp.com/how-to/how-to-convert-media-files-on-mac

Thanks again for your quick responses.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2021 4:12 AM in response to Rich839

Thanks Rich! I've tried deleting preferences, creating a new project, and choosing other audio formats, but no luck. I did however manage to find the below linked workaround - which is actually easier than using iMovie - so I'm sorted now:

https://setapp.com/how-to/how-to-convert-media-files-on-mac

Thanks again for your quick responses.

Oct 15, 2021 9:27 AM in response to Rich839

I just noticed from your original post that other audio formats than mp3 have failed as well. There may be something amiss with the rendering process when the audio is shared out. So, if the procedure I suggested in my previous post does not work, try deleting preferences. To delete preferences, open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project. It sometimes cures rendering issues.

Another thing that you can try is to transfer your media to a newly created project and share out from there. That would be to rule out some glitch that is confined to your original project.

-- Rich

iMovie exporting - audio cuts off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.