Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen flickers as crazy

After 5 to 10 mins of usage the screen foes crazy with horizontal lines flickering all over it!

Weird thing is, it does NOT affect the top control bar. You will see in the pictures.

The issue started 2 weeks ago and got worse yesterday.

Online software fixes seem not working at all.

I'm trying to reinstall the OS on Recovery mode but I'll doubt that will help.

Posted on Aug 9, 2020 9:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2020 6:13 AM

Hi Flora,

Thanks for confirming that the issue remains even after reinstalling macOS, and that the flickering and distortion seems related to the temperature of your Mac.

This is definitely not expected behavior, and helps to isolate the issue. At this point, please reach out for further investigation and to possibly set up service for your MacBook Pro:

Get Support 

Mac Repair - Official Apple Support

Take care!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 12, 2020 6:13 AM in response to FloraLu

Hi Flora,

Thanks for confirming that the issue remains even after reinstalling macOS, and that the flickering and distortion seems related to the temperature of your Mac.

This is definitely not expected behavior, and helps to isolate the issue. At this point, please reach out for further investigation and to possibly set up service for your MacBook Pro:

Get Support 

Mac Repair - Official Apple Support

Take care!

Aug 11, 2020 1:43 PM in response to FloraLu

Hi FloraLu,

We appreciate you reaching out through Apple Support Communities about this. We'd love to help ensure your Mac's display is soon working as expected.

Were you able to reinstall macOS? If so, does the issue persist?

Have you noticed if it occurs when using any specific app or apps?

We've got a great resource to share with you. Let us know if you have any questions about this Knowledge Base article:

If your Mac display doesn’t look right

We're here for you if you've got any questions.

Have a great day!

Aug 12, 2020 2:31 AM in response to chuck_3rd

Hello Chuck,

I did reinstall macOS but the issue still there.

Is difficult to answer your question as it starts flickering after 15 to 20 minutes of activity and get faster/worse the more the computer becomes hotter. Could it be a heat problem? Is it surely not the first time I use this Mac summer time though and it never happened before.

It happens faster when I'm working on any graphic and photography editor / play on World of Warcraft. So it seems like the problem could be the graphic accelerator. However even a long time on simply working on Safari causes it.

"If your Mac display doesn’t look right" is not really of any help, as the issue is not even listened on it. The flickering issue it talks about is surely not my case, as I have nothing around my Mac.

I also tried the NVRAM and SMC reset, but the problem still there.

Thank you,

Flora

Aug 12, 2020 6:59 AM in response to karina184

I tried it today:

I've been working on the Mac for 4h now and it did NOT happens, not even once. I'm using just safari, Mail and whatsapp web (app) . GPU temperature stays around 45° to 55° and the issue did not show up. I'm to using anything else so I think I haven't used the graphic accelerator at all yet.

I booked a Genius anyway...as I do need to use editors, being a photographer and graphic designer :|

Thank you anyway!

Screen flickers as crazy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.