Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Norton AV and VPN extensions prevent OS update.

I installed norton antivirus and vpn on my macbook pro.

Now i got a message that says that some extensions may prevent updating macOS.

what should I do? Uninstall norton? and vpn? Is there a way to solve this issue?

Thx

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Mac Pro

Posted on Aug 9, 2020 9:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2020 3:01 PM

First, as Bob has already recommended uninstall Norton. It's junkware.

Now try to complete the update? If you're going thru the System/Software Update preference pane try this instead: download and apply the macOS Catalina 10.15.6 Combo Update.  

If that fails to fix it boot into Safe Mode (How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support) by booting with the Shift key held down and run the combo updater from there. 

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing some system cache cleaning, volume verifying and directory repairing. 

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 9, 2020 3:01 PM in response to chiquitos

First, as Bob has already recommended uninstall Norton. It's junkware.

Now try to complete the update? If you're going thru the System/Software Update preference pane try this instead: download and apply the macOS Catalina 10.15.6 Combo Update.  

If that fails to fix it boot into Safe Mode (How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support) by booting with the Shift key held down and run the combo updater from there. 

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing some system cache cleaning, volume verifying and directory repairing. 

Aug 9, 2020 9:48 AM in response to chiquitos

Chiquitos Said:

I installed norton antivirus and vpn on my macbook pro. Now i got a message that says that some extensions may prevent updating macOS. what should I do? Uninstall norton? and vpn? Is there a way to solve this issue?

———-

Keep Security Software off of your Mac.

Uninstall Norton, using the Uninstaller. Get download the Uninstaller directly from Norton.

You Should Use Malwarebytes for Mac:

Malwarebytes searches for malware (short for malicious software) and spyware. Malware makes your Mac behave in a mislead manor. 

Malwarebytes is created by longtime users of these forums, making it the only reliable Security Software for a Mac. Remove what is found from the quarantine.

Downloads:

1. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac
  2. Malwarebytes Uninstaller

Norton AV and VPN extensions prevent OS update.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.