Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air gets hot quickly

I just bought a new Air. It sits on my desk (NOT on my lap, or pillow, or whatever). It gets hot quickly while I'm doing REALLY mundane tasks like email, browsing Amazon, editing documents, etc. Is that normal? My previous Air (5 years old) only started its fans when I was editing video or doing more intense work like that.

Should I be concerned? I will be editing video and doing a lot of Zoom meetings this fall (I'm a professor and everything is online right now...thus the new computer with more storage!).

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 9, 2020 5:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2020 3:38 AM

Heating problem is unusual when it comes to browsing internet.

Please open Activity Monitor when the issue is occurring and check if you find any application that is unusually consuming huge resources (memory or CPU). To find Activity Monitor on a Mac, go to your Applications folder > Utilities folder, and then double-click Activity Monitor. If you are unable to determine, please call the Apple call centre or visit the Apple Authorised Service centre to get it checked.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2020 3:38 AM in response to Onetha

Heating problem is unusual when it comes to browsing internet.

Please open Activity Monitor when the issue is occurring and check if you find any application that is unusually consuming huge resources (memory or CPU). To find Activity Monitor on a Mac, go to your Applications folder > Utilities folder, and then double-click Activity Monitor. If you are unable to determine, please call the Apple call centre or visit the Apple Authorised Service centre to get it checked.

Aug 10, 2020 5:41 AM in response to Onetha

Same happened to me during warranty period

but after few months now the display got out

get it replaced if in warranty period

it is bad machine

Apple has ditched me ( neither it replaced the machine during warranty period and now asking huge money for repair

MacBook Air gets hot quickly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.