Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing the Macbook user when you don't know the previous user's password

Hi, I'm using a Macbook that was previously owned by another employee of the team who's left. I do want to keep using the softwares that are installed so instead of resetting the Mac, I'd like to change the Apple ID that's linked to it.

Is there any way to sign out the an Apple account when you don't know the password?

Thanks,

Posted on Aug 9, 2020 7:28 PM

2 replies

Aug 9, 2020 9:40 PM in response to TeamKB

Is there any way to sign out the an Apple account when you don't know the password?

No. It would create havoc if just any random person anywhere could sign you out of your Apple account, wouldn't it?

The correct way to recover from the situation you're facing is to erase the Mac and set it up as your own. Follow these instructions: What to do before you sell, give away or trade in your Mac - Apple Support. If its previous owner is unavailable, unmotivated or disinterested in performing them then you can only perform Step 7.

I do want to keep using the softwares that are installed

You can't do both.

Changing the Macbook user when you don't know the previous user's password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.