Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't click on Google Ads in ANY Browser

When clicking on ANY google ad using any browser (Safari, Chrome, Firefox, etc.) on my MacBook Pro, it will not connect. Stops at Googleadservices.com.

Same problem occurs on this mac when I use incognito mode.

Fully updated to Catalina

Removed Sophos (the only antivirus software).

My daughter's Macbook pro is on the same wifi network and works fine, so it's not the router.

Google support said its not their problem if its working on my daughter's mac sitting on same desk next to my own.

At my wits end. Lots of others online with this issue and everyone suggesting to contact Google but this is a mac specific issue.

Please help!!

Pic 1. I can't click on any search results that are ads.

Pic 2. This is the error I get when I try to click on an any ad in the search results.

TIA for any help!

Karen

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 10, 2020 2:56 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Aug 11, 2020 4:58 AM in response to Gizzabreak

I suspect at least part of the problem is Sophos wasn't uninstalled completely…

/Library/Extensions

SophosPortInterceptor.kext (Sophos, 9.9.4 - SDK 10.14)

SophosFileProtection.kext (Sophos, 9.9.4 - SDK 10.14)

SophosFileMonitor.kext (Sophos, 9.9.4 - SDK 10.14)

SophosWebProtection.kext (Sophos, 9.9.4 - SDK 10.14)

Launch Agents:

[Running] com.sophos.agent.plist (Sophos - installed 2020-03-17)

[Running] com.sophos.endpoint.uiserver.plist (Sophos - installed 2020-03-17)

Launch Daemons:

[Running] com.sophos.common.servicemanager.plist (Sophos - installed 2020-03-17)

You need to remove the left over bits of Sophos, restart and test again.

Aug 11, 2020 6:55 AM in response to dialabrain

The Sophos was installed by my previous employer and I think its tamper proof so there is no removal tool? I tried to download it again with a view to uninstalling it but I couldn't. I get an error saying

"An incompatible product is installed. This software cannot be installed over the existing installation. No changes were made to the existing installation."

If I go to Finder > Go to folder > /Library/Sophos Anti-Virus

and then just delete all of the files in that folder will that remove it?

I am thinking just to try to reinstall the OS from scratch, I think there is a recovery disc preloaded on this HD?

Can't click on Google Ads in ANY Browser

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.