Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot insert footnote in book in pages.app

Hello!

I cannot insert footnotes in a book I am drafting in Pages.app with a view to producing an epub.

I have tried selecting a word, clicking in front of it, clicking after it, but Insert/Footnote is always greyed out.

What am I doing that is wrong?

In contrast, I have no difficulty in inserting a footnote in an ordinary Pages document.

Thanks for your help!

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 10, 2020 6:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2020 6:36 AM

If you are in a Page Layout document, and entering text in a Text box, then there is no footnote insertion capability. It will remain gray on the Insert menu. Footnotes are for regular Pages word processing documents.

Similar questions

2 replies

Aug 10, 2020 7:22 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you for that quick reply which answers my question!

I did not realise that the pages created in a book model in Pages.app are technically text boxes. I thought text boxes were boxes created manually.

Up until now I have used iBooksAuthor to create books. I have been trying out Pages to create a book but the software still lacks several very useful iBA features. In particular it does not yet have the equivalent of the "glossary" function which I use often to explain technical words or give additional but not essential information. Footnotes would have been a good substitution. Perhaps when the new OS is published in September / October Pages.app may have been beefed up.

Cannot insert footnote in book in pages.app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.