Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stop Google search redirects to Yahoo in Safari

Hello. The problem is with search engine. my default search engine is "google" but whenever i try to search something, it will redirect me to yahoo search. It doesn't end there just, even when i'll go to google's address (google.com) and type something in website's search, it still will take me to yahoo search result.

I have

• Cleared Caches
  • Changed safari's prefferences to Google
  • Deleted all possible 3rd Party apps
  • Every other obvious steps to ensure safety

need help, would mean a lot to me. Thankyou

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Aug 10, 2020 9:38 AM

3 replies

Aug 12, 2020 4:39 PM in response to arsi.17

arsi.17 Said:

"Google search redirects to Yahoo search"

-------

Clear your Temporary Internet Files

Do so once more, but This time in Safe Mode:

1. First, Boot into Safe Mode:

[Hold Down: Shift key upon boot] While in Safe Mode, login items do not run, an all macOS caches are set aside, thereby letting everything by default.

Once logged in on Safe Mode...

2. Clear the Temporary Internet Files:

Clear your Temporary Internet Files (Cookies & Cache) of Safari:

• Cookies perform remembrance of certain site-entered data.
  • Cache keeps a snapshot of the last time you visited a site.

Go Here: Clear the History and Cookies from Safari on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch - Apple Support

Aug 12, 2020 11:31 AM in response to arsi.17

Hey there, arsi.17.

After reviewing your post, we understand that while trying to search with Safari, you are redirected to Yahoo instead of Google.

You've taken some good steps for this issue already. The steps in the following articles may help:

How to use safe mode on your Mac

About pop-up ads and windows in Safari

The first article can help isolate the issue. Also, in the last article, specifically check out the steps under the "If you might have installed adware or other unwanted software on your Mac" section.

Take care.

Aug 12, 2020 12:35 PM in response to arsi.17

You have adware/malware installed. Use  Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac. It may be necessary to run more than one scan. After scanning a couple of times, restart the computer and test. If necessary, follow the manual instructions.  Do not download any other programs that are listed in the articles.  

See if the below helps. I would scroll down to the below or you might fall asleep.

Step 1. Eliminate Yahoo Redirect from Windows.    

Step 2. Delete Yahoo Redirect from Mac OS      

Step 3. Uninstall Yahoo Redirect from Internet Explorer      

Step 4. Remove Yahoo Redirect from Microsoft Edge.     

Step 5. Erase Yahoo Redirect from Mozilla Firefox.   

Step 6. Get rid of Yahoo Redirect from Google Chrome.    

Step 7. Eliminate Yahoo Redirect from Safari.   

https://www.2-spyware.com/remove-yahoo-redirect-virus.html.    

Go to Safari Preferences/Extensions, uninstall any you don't recognize, and then turn all extensions off. Test. If okay, turn the extensions on one by one until you figure out what extension is causing the problem.

Safari/Preferences/General - see what the Home Page is set to. If something you don't recognize, see if you can replace it with something you want.

Safari menu/Clear History.

System Preferences and remove any Profiles you see.

Stop Google search redirects to Yahoo in Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.