Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing AppleID to set up new Gmail email account after leaving employer

I set up my AppleID years ago using my work email address. I no longer work there and that email address no longer “works”. I do not have the password needed to connect with the office server. I have gone through the steps to open a Gmail account, but I am not receiving Gmails. I assume that is because my AppleID is causing Gmails to go to the office server where they stay. I tried to change my AppleID, but I was unsuccessful because Apple wants to send info to my “new email address” , which isn’t working. I don’t have a working email address. Help! Can anyone tell me how to proceed to get out of this mess? Thanks.

iPad Air, 12

Posted on Aug 10, 2020 10:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2020 12:01 PM

In order to create a new Apple ID, you will need to have a working email address to use as your Apple ID and another email address to use for an emergency.

How to Change Your Apple ID

[Originally posted by donv (The Ghost).]

1. Change your Apple ID (Be very aware of the restrictions here.) 
  2. Before changing your Apple ID using a computer, sign out of all Apple  services that use your Apple ID. If you are going to use an iPhone, iPad, or iPod, then stay signed in with your Apple ID on only that device. This instruction is taken from the above document under the heading Before you change your Apple ID.
  3. For sign out purposes, see Where can I use my Apple ID? “This list is provided for informational purposes only and is subject to change without notice. It's not intended to include every feature or service that uses Apple ID. Visit the Apple ID support page for more information.”
  4. There may be some redundancy, but see What to do after you change your Apple ID or password.

(I have done minor editing to improve presentation.)

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2020 12:01 PM in response to Bingjoe9831

In order to create a new Apple ID, you will need to have a working email address to use as your Apple ID and another email address to use for an emergency.

How to Change Your Apple ID

[Originally posted by donv (The Ghost).]

1. Change your Apple ID (Be very aware of the restrictions here.) 
  2. Before changing your Apple ID using a computer, sign out of all Apple  services that use your Apple ID. If you are going to use an iPhone, iPad, or iPod, then stay signed in with your Apple ID on only that device. This instruction is taken from the above document under the heading Before you change your Apple ID.
  3. For sign out purposes, see Where can I use my Apple ID? “This list is provided for informational purposes only and is subject to change without notice. It's not intended to include every feature or service that uses Apple ID. Visit the Apple ID support page for more information.”
  4. There may be some redundancy, but see What to do after you change your Apple ID or password.

(I have done minor editing to improve presentation.)

Changing AppleID to set up new Gmail email account after leaving employer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.