Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Defective logic board on MacBook Pro 16'' with touch-bar.

I bought a new MacBook Pro 16'' in March 2020. After acting weird before too (brightness issues and screen turning black for seconds) and being incredibly slow, I decided I wanted to return it and go for the 32 RAM option. However, the retail stores in my state closed due to COVID-19 and I was instructed to wait till they open again.

After less than 4 weeks of use, the computer dies and Apple Service says that the logic board needs replacement. But it appears the ONLY place I can return it is the retail store I bought it. After 3 hours of waiting to speak with a representative, they informed me there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY I can return it online and I have to wait for the store to open (3 months and waiting)

Also, they say if I use my AppleCare to replace the logic board, I won't be able to return it, so basically, I can't even fix it to use it while I wait.

I have been waiting with a very expensive dead computer for 3 months and unfortunately, no more patience.

What should I do? Please help! Does anyone know of a number or a service where I can return defective products? Apple Support or Apple Sales can't do anything.

Posted on Aug 10, 2020 6:16 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Aug 31, 2020 6:13 AM in response to koumaraki

koumaraki wrote:

I bought a new MacBook Pro 16'' in March 2020. After acting weird before too (brightness issues and screen turning black for seconds) and being incredibly slow, I decided I wanted to return it and go for the 32 RAM option. However, the retail stores in my state closed due to COVID-19 and I was instructed to wait till they open again.

After less than 4 weeks of use, the computer dies and Apple Service says that the logic board needs replacement. But it appears the ONLY place I can return it is the retail store I bought it. After 3 hours of waiting to speak with a representative, they informed me there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY I can return it online and I have to wait for the store to open (3 months and waiting)
Also, they say if I use my AppleCare to replace the logic board, I won't be able to return it, so basically, I can't even fix it to use it while I wait.

I have been waiting with a very expensive dead computer for 3 months and unfortunately, no more patience.

What should I do? Please help! Does anyone know of a number or a service where I can return defective products? Apple Support or Apple Sales can't do anything.

“Mac notebook, contact us and we'll send you a box you can use to ship it to an Apple Repair Center. We'll return your repaired product to you as quickly as possible. Depending on where you get service, you might be able to check the status of your repair online.” Start a service request https://support.apple.com/mac/repair/service

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or call AppleCare Support at 1-800-APLCARE (800-275-2273)

Aug 31, 2020 6:09 AM in response to koumaraki

HI, I command you return it. 16 inch Macbook pro definitely have problem, and I believe apple knows the issue. I have it since May. I think the problem caused by over hate.

This Mac will die from sleep, and die several times before get in to the system.

Following is the email from the repair team.

Our technician has determined your logic board is defective. For your machine model, the hard drive is embedded on the logic board and will therefore have to be replaced along with it. Your warranty will cover the cost of the replacement but we would like to confirm how you would like to handle the data and OS. We are required to send your bad logic board with embedded hard drive, back to the manufacturer for exchange. Unfortunately no data can be accessed on these embedded drives. Do we have your permission to proceed? 

Defective logic board on MacBook Pro 16'' with touch-bar.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.