Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV is not recognizing my apple password

I have an old Apple TV (Model MC572LL/A, software 6.2.1 (6698.99.50.41)I believe it's from 2010. It has been updated every time there is an update.

I have a 2016 MacBook Pro, and an iPhone 8.

The Apple TV is not recognizing my apple password. I have tried to change the password, and it has not worked. It works on my phone and my laptop fine. It's driving me crazy. I end up not being able to watch movies on my TV, but instead on my computer.

In addition, sometimes AirPlay works and sometimes it doesn't, when I'm trying to transfer my computer screen movie to the TV. This is a problem especially with rented movies.

Any suggestions?

Apple TV

Posted on Aug 10, 2020 7:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2020 10:27 AM

Model MC572LL/A

We often refer to that as Apple TV (2nd generation). It was sold from 2010 to 2012. Apple TV Software version 6.2.1 from 2014 is the latest version.

When you have two-factor authentication for your Apple ID, then the sign-in procedure for the older hardware is a bit different. You may be asked to type your password followed by the six-digit verification code directly into the password field, which can be can be confusing. Additionally, there is a time limit, after which the code becomes invalid.

Try this: First enter the characters of your password (do not submit yet), then manually request a new verification code, then append that code to the password (no spaces or other separating characters), and then submit.

It should be a one-time thing, though maybe for both the iTunes Store and for iCloud, until you change the password, or erase the device.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 11, 2020 10:27 AM in response to kaniru

Model MC572LL/A

We often refer to that as Apple TV (2nd generation). It was sold from 2010 to 2012. Apple TV Software version 6.2.1 from 2014 is the latest version.

When you have two-factor authentication for your Apple ID, then the sign-in procedure for the older hardware is a bit different. You may be asked to type your password followed by the six-digit verification code directly into the password field, which can be can be confusing. Additionally, there is a time limit, after which the code becomes invalid.

Try this: First enter the characters of your password (do not submit yet), then manually request a new verification code, then append that code to the password (no spaces or other separating characters), and then submit.

It should be a one-time thing, though maybe for both the iTunes Store and for iCloud, until you change the password, or erase the device.

Aug 11, 2020 11:16 AM in response to kaniru

In addition, sometimes AirPlay works and sometimes it doesn't, when I'm trying to transfer my computer screen movie to the TV. This is a problem especially with rented movies.

Content from the iTunes Store should be playable on the device directly, without the need for AirPlay.

Content from Apple TV+ (if you subscribe to that) is not compatible with Apple TV (2nd generation), not even through AirPlay.

Screen mirroring depends largely on your home network and the sending device.

Using ‘basic’ AirPlay (not mirroring) from iTunes, Apple TV app, QuickTime Player, or Safari wil be easier on your Mac and the network (no screen capture needed). But that requires that the files are already compatible with the Apple TV box.

Apple TV is not recognizing my apple password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.