Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I get IMovie if I am not able to update my 2011 MACbook?

So I have a 2011 Macbook pro my current OS is High Sierra 10.13.6 and I was looking to get imovie from the app store. When I click get > install app it says

"iMovie can’t be installed on “Mick's SSD” because macOS version 10.14.6 or later is required."

Looking at my computer it cannot be updated any further then where it is now. I attempted to try download older versions of IMovie from apples archives but it says that I can't because I need the original versions of either v 9 or 10 (which both are not provided).

Is it possible to get Imovie safely from apple or are they doing there usual of making their customers old devices obsolete so they have to buy new products?

thanks

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 11, 2020 1:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2020 10:33 AM

Your situation is not uncommon.

If you ever had iMovie 10 on your Mac before, even if you deleted it, you can use this procedure to get the highest version of iMovie that High Sierra will run:

To update/redownload iMovie 10, drag your iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the trash. (You can skip that step if you had iMovie 10 on your computer before, but deleted it.) Sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. You will see your purchases displayed, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the

trash (if you moved it there) and return it to the Applications folder.

If no luck with the above, take a look at this thread, particularly spectre_ghost's post, for a way to get iMovie when you are running High Sierra:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251259186

-- Rich

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 11, 2020 10:33 AM in response to InsertNameHere____

Your situation is not uncommon.

If you ever had iMovie 10 on your Mac before, even if you deleted it, you can use this procedure to get the highest version of iMovie that High Sierra will run:

To update/redownload iMovie 10, drag your iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the trash. (You can skip that step if you had iMovie 10 on your computer before, but deleted it.) Sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. You will see your purchases displayed, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the

trash (if you moved it there) and return it to the Applications folder.

If no luck with the above, take a look at this thread, particularly spectre_ghost's post, for a way to get iMovie when you are running High Sierra:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251259186

-- Rich

Aug 28, 2020 1:49 AM in response to Rich839

Hi Rich,

this did not sort the problem out for me. I have been trying to figure this out for a while.

I bought this Mac refurbished a couple of years ago, it is a 2011 and will not update any higher than high sierra 10.13.6. Due to this when I try press get on the app store it says:

"iMovie can’t be installed on “Mick's SSD” because macOS version 10.15.6 or later is required."

I tried to find version 9.0 of Imovie as this is meant to be compatible but they do not provide the original 9.0 app only the updates from 9.1 onward.

thanks

How can I get IMovie if I am not able to update my 2011 MACbook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.