Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have 2008 version of Microsoft Office for Mac on my 2 year old new Mac laptop but don't know how to access updates or what I need to do to be able to properly it. It crashes frequently.

What do I need to do to be able to continue to use my 2008 version of Microsoft Office for Mac?

It is now installed on my 2 year old Mac which receives all current iOS updates.

Posted on Aug 11, 2020 6:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2020 7:22 AM

Using Mail makes this easy. If you want to avoid the subscription version, then the $150 version of Office 2019 is all you need (does not include Outlook).

Yes, it will open any of your older documents. As far as how long it will last, that's the same as Office 2008 or 2011. It will work for as long as MS keeps updating it to function in whatever is the current version of macOS. On average, that's been about 8 years of pretty generous support.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 11, 2020 7:22 AM in response to Zetland53

Using Mail makes this easy. If you want to avoid the subscription version, then the $150 version of Office 2019 is all you need (does not include Outlook).

Yes, it will open any of your older documents. As far as how long it will last, that's the same as Office 2008 or 2011. It will work for as long as MS keeps updating it to function in whatever is the current version of macOS. On average, that's been about 8 years of pretty generous support.

Aug 11, 2020 6:18 AM in response to Zetland53

A Mac uses macOS, not iOS. The latter is for Apple's mobile devices, such as the iPhone and iPad.

Office 2008 is ancient. That you get it run at all on a 2 year old Mac is a bit amazing. Though not even slightly surprising that it constantly crashes. Office 2011 is also obsolete. MS stopped supporting it almost a year ago, and it too does not run well in High Sierra, or at all in Mojave.

You need to purchase a new version. Current is either the subscription Office 365, or the one-time cost perpetual license Office 2019.

If you're using Entourage in Office 2008, that's going to be your biggest problem. You cannot import your email data into Outlook from Office 2008. It must first be imported to Office 2011, and then from there imported to Office 365, 2019 or 2016.

I have 2008 version of Microsoft Office for Mac on my 2 year old new Mac laptop but don't know how to access updates or what I need to do to be able to properly it. It crashes frequently.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.