Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gray pop up overlay on sites in safari

Hello - not sure how to resolve this, hoping someone knows the answer.

Anytime I'm using my safari browser on my MPB Catalina, i get this overlay gray pop up when visiting websites. This comes up immediately after a web page loads. The gray overlay appears to be a simple view of whatever the content is on the website. When i click off of the gray pop up - the site returns to normal.

I have already cleared my cache and cookies and restarted my computer as well.

Screenshots below so you can see the pop up and then what the site actually looks like when i click off of the gray screen area.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 11, 2020 8:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2020 9:02 AM

Hey there swimguy333j,

It sounds like website are loading to a basic view instead of the standard layout in Safari on your Mac. We'll be happy to help with this.

From what we see, the Reader view is enabling automatically. This view allows you to see an article on one page for easy viewing and without ads or other distractions. For full details on this feature, check out this page: Hide ads when reading articles in Safari on Mac

In order to disable this, we need to open Safari, go to Preferences, then select: Websites > Reader

From there, you can check the individual settings for each website. You can also make sure it's not auto-enabling for all websites. To do that, make sure "When visiting other websites:" is turned off.

For additional details on these settings, check this out: Change Websites preferences in Safari on Mac

If that doesn't help, let us know if this is happening with all websites and webpages.

Cheers!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 13, 2020 9:02 AM in response to swimguy333j

Hey there swimguy333j,

It sounds like website are loading to a basic view instead of the standard layout in Safari on your Mac. We'll be happy to help with this.

From what we see, the Reader view is enabling automatically. This view allows you to see an article on one page for easy viewing and without ads or other distractions. For full details on this feature, check out this page: Hide ads when reading articles in Safari on Mac

In order to disable this, we need to open Safari, go to Preferences, then select: Websites > Reader

From there, you can check the individual settings for each website. You can also make sure it's not auto-enabling for all websites. To do that, make sure "When visiting other websites:" is turned off.

For additional details on these settings, check this out: Change Websites preferences in Safari on Mac

If that doesn't help, let us know if this is happening with all websites and webpages.

Cheers!

Gray pop up overlay on sites in safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.