Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers opening text files

I'm having an issue opening a fairly large .txt file in Numbers, containing a column of SKU's numbers from product barcodes. When imported, and SKU that began with a zero is missing it's zero, rendering the export useless. Seen this? Is there a fix? HELP

Posted on Aug 11, 2020 7:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2020 11:07 PM

I'm guessing your SKU were all numerals, so when Numbers imported them it thought they were numbers.

You can restore the leading 0s like this:

Select the cells with the SKUs and choose Numeral System from the Data Format dropdown.

Enter the number of characters your SKUs should have in the Places: box. I assumed 7.

In the dropdown switch the Data Format to Text.

You can also restore the leading "zeros" with a formula.

In B2, filled down:

=RIGHT("0000"&A2,7)

Then "remove" the formula by selecting the cells with it and type command-c, Edit > Paste Formula Results.

SG

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 11, 2020 11:07 PM in response to Peter Michael Kagan

I'm guessing your SKU were all numerals, so when Numbers imported them it thought they were numbers.

You can restore the leading 0s like this:

Select the cells with the SKUs and choose Numeral System from the Data Format dropdown.

Enter the number of characters your SKUs should have in the Places: box. I assumed 7.

In the dropdown switch the Data Format to Text.

You can also restore the leading "zeros" with a formula.

In B2, filled down:

=RIGHT("0000"&A2,7)

Then "remove" the formula by selecting the cells with it and type command-c, Edit > Paste Formula Results.

SG

Numbers opening text files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.