Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TimeMachine Remove Disk not work

When I click on the remove disk from Time Machine, I get the next prompt asking if I want to "Stop using this disk" and I say yes; however, nothing happens. The disk continues to show up in Time Machine. I've tried rebooting but nothing works.

Any suggestions?

Posted on Aug 12, 2020 12:57 AM

2 replies

Aug 13, 2020 1:35 PM in response to talkinghead250

Hi talkinghead250,

It looks like you're unable to remove a disk you are currently using for your Time Machine backups, even after you select "Stop using this disk". We know how important it is to have the correct storage device for those backups. You've come to the right spot for help with this.

Let's start with making sure your Mac is up to date with the most recent macOS your device is eligible to install:

How to update the software on your Mac

Once your software is up to date we'll want to try and remove the disk again.

Let us know if your Mac is in the process of creating a Time Machine backup or restoring data from a previous backup if you still are not able to remove the disk after installing any software updates.

Take care!

TimeMachine Remove Disk not work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.