Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to create screenshot...is there an additional features?

If I need to capture a special portion (fixed dimensions in pixels) of the screen, how to do that?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Aug 12, 2020 9:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2020 10:18 AM

Use the shift+command+4 shortcut to determine the starting screen coordinates for your capture, then press escape to dismiss it. Then, in the Terminal, use this syntax, where the first two entries are from the preceding sentence, and the last two are the dimensions to capture:

screencapture -help
screencapture -p -R158,250,500,50

This resulted in a default .png image being written to my Desktop:

Each time you run this command string, it will capture a new image from the same location on the screen.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 12, 2020 10:18 AM in response to usutleja

Use the shift+command+4 shortcut to determine the starting screen coordinates for your capture, then press escape to dismiss it. Then, in the Terminal, use this syntax, where the first two entries are from the preceding sentence, and the last two are the dimensions to capture:

screencapture -help
screencapture -p -R158,250,500,50

This resulted in a default .png image being written to my Desktop:

Each time you run this command string, it will capture a new image from the same location on the screen.

Aug 12, 2020 9:55 AM in response to BDAqua

Thanks!

I know these options, but these don't solve my problem.

I have to define an area on the screen with certain parameters that would be very accurately fixed. Then I will change the content on the screen (Chrome - inspector - page preview) - the same webpage but different pages/layouts.

I want to take several pictures from the exact same location and with the exact same dimensions. :)

Is it possible to set and fine-tune a specific area on the screen and use it multiple times, as can be done with screen recording?

In this case, the computer remembers the area.

How to create screenshot...is there an additional features?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.