Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to take a screenshot at 1X resolution on retina

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 12, 2021 7:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2021 4:39 AM

There is probably a way to do it automatically - I am thinking of a Folder Action that changes the size of images.

I can tell you how I do it. It is not automatic, but it is quite quick.

1) In the Screenshot application (command-shift-5), I chose "Preview" as the destination.

2) Each screenshot therefore opens automatically in Preview

3) Preview has Tools->Adjust Size... I added a keyboard shortcut to this command so it is much quicker to invoke.

In my case, I chose Command-Control-Option-Shift-S but you can choose a different one; be careful not to choose one that is in use for other purpose.

In summary, all I do is Command-Shift-4, drag, Command-Control-Option-Shift-S, type 50, tab, enter, Command-S to save.

This has yet another advantage: as I often use annotation tools in the screenshot, I am already inside Preview to do it.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 13, 2021 4:39 AM in response to dianeOhio

There is probably a way to do it automatically - I am thinking of a Folder Action that changes the size of images.

I can tell you how I do it. It is not automatic, but it is quite quick.

1) In the Screenshot application (command-shift-5), I chose "Preview" as the destination.

2) Each screenshot therefore opens automatically in Preview

3) Preview has Tools->Adjust Size... I added a keyboard shortcut to this command so it is much quicker to invoke.

In my case, I chose Command-Control-Option-Shift-S but you can choose a different one; be careful not to choose one that is in use for other purpose.

In summary, all I do is Command-Shift-4, drag, Command-Control-Option-Shift-S, type 50, tab, enter, Command-S to save.

This has yet another advantage: as I often use annotation tools in the screenshot, I am already inside Preview to do it.

Jun 13, 2021 11:16 AM in response to dialabrain

dialabrain wrote:

As Luis noted, manually resizing the snapshot seems to be the only viable option.

Guess what, my "other" solution also works!

1) In Automator, create a new Folder Action, and associate it with a folder, let's call it "1X". All it has to have is one single action. It looks like this:

2) In Screenshot, select that "1X" folder as the destination for the screenshots. (Of course, it can be named whatever you like, I just used this name as an example)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.