You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unable to update apps

Hey All,

When I try to update my apps on my recently-purchased macbook, I get an error message saying "Unable to update because the app was purchased or refunded under a different Apple ID."

I think the issue may be that I chose to purchase the laptop without logging into my apple id (I forgot the password and I was up against the clock for the shipping deadline, didn't figure it would be such a big deal).

Is there any way to fix this without waiting on hold with the support line? I set everything up with my apple id when I first got the computer so I'm not sure what's the issue.

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 12, 2020 3:32 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2020 3:39 PM

It looks like you downloaded apps on one Apple ID and then started using another - the only way to fix this is uninstalling each app and reinstalling it on the new Apple ID you are using unless you recover the password of your old Apple ID, but this will then mean you have to do the same for apps you have downloaded on your new Apple ID.

Follow these steps to reset your password

If you forgot your Apple ID password – Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 12, 2020 3:39 PM in response to meowmix420

It looks like you downloaded apps on one Apple ID and then started using another - the only way to fix this is uninstalling each app and reinstalling it on the new Apple ID you are using unless you recover the password of your old Apple ID, but this will then mean you have to do the same for apps you have downloaded on your new Apple ID.

Follow these steps to reset your password

If you forgot your Apple ID password – Apple Support

unable to update apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.