Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Drive Ambiguity

When I click on files in iCloud Drive on my iOS devices they display a downloading animation and then the cloud arrow icon disappears from the thumbnail.

This got me concerned that theses files were being stored locally. I could not find anything in the documentation on apple to clarify what exactly is happening when that icon is clicked.

Are these just temporary local files that will have their local storage space re-allocated in the background by the file system?

I have a feeling that this is whats happening since the files are not appearing withing the "On My iPad" location.

iPad Pro 9.7-inch WiFi

Posted on Aug 12, 2020 11:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2020 2:44 PM

When using iCloud, your files are stored in iCloud and also a smaller footprint of the files are stored also locally on your device so your assessment was correct. That's how iCloud works and was designed.

Similar questions

3 replies

iCloud Drive Ambiguity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.