Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration assistant question

I want to migrate from a Mac Pro mid 2012 with Mojave to a Mac Pro 2013 which has Catalina on it. Will I have issues with the migration going from Mojave to Catalina?

Or ma I better off to erase Catalina from the destination and format with Mojave, then after migration upgrade to Catalina?

Mac Pro, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 13, 2020 8:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2020 11:43 AM

If you already have Catalina installed on your Mac Pro, Migration Assistant will create new User Accounts for each User Account it migrates: How to move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support. That is likely to result in the creation of at least one additional redundant User Account, and I presume that's not what you want to do.

Or ma I better off to erase Catalina from the destination and format with Mojave, then after migration upgrade to Catalina?

If you choose to erase the destination, just install Catalina. The installer will ask if you want to migrate data from another Mac or its Time Machine backup. That will preclude the creation of redundant User Accounts.

If you want to, you can install Mojave, migrate content, and subsequently upgrade to Catalina, but that seems unnecessarily complicated.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 13, 2020 11:43 AM in response to dagwaremedia

If you already have Catalina installed on your Mac Pro, Migration Assistant will create new User Accounts for each User Account it migrates: How to move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support. That is likely to result in the creation of at least one additional redundant User Account, and I presume that's not what you want to do.

If you choose to erase the destination, just install Catalina. The installer will ask if you want to migrate data from another Mac or its Time Machine backup. That will preclude the creation of redundant User Accounts.

If you want to, you can install Mojave, migrate content, and subsequently upgrade to Catalina, but that seems unnecessarily complicated.

Migration assistant question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.