Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro overheating

Like many people, I have a MacBook Pro that overheats, but not of the suggested fixes are appropriate for my problem. I live somewhere quite rural and the area is prone to power cuts. I only get overheating when using the Pro at this time. I close down Safari, Chrome and turn off Wi Fi so that it isn't attempting to connect. It makes no difference. Within a few minutes it gets very hot and the fan starts to run. This is also a problem because I'm obviously running on battery (no power available) and the fan depletes the battery quite quickly. The first time I had a Preview image on split screen with an Excel spreadsheet and I was transcribing detail from the image to the spreadsheet. This has now happened several times. Today after it happened again, I let the thing cool down and then started looking at just the spreadsheet with no additional app. The same thing happened. After the first time, I called Apple support and they just said to make sure I had all the updates. I did, updated again, and it's made no difference. BTW I've had it about 6 weeks, brand new. How hot is it safe to get to, and how can I tell what temperature it actually is? It's not too hot to touch, but not far away. It seems ridiculous that I buy equipment specifically made to be portable but doesn't work properly if it needs a power source to work (necessary for the internet)

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 13, 2020 8:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2020 8:17 AM

Your computer will shut down if it overheats.

Keep your Mac notebook within acceptable operating temperatures - Apple Support

How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

5 replies

Aug 13, 2020 8:28 AM in response to barbarafrommacclesfield

A previous poster said "This is normal for some MacBooks depending on your Mac it will be more severe MacBooks especially15 inch MacBook pros can over heat and you should either leave it be and expose the fans or you can put it in the fridge. There are more options though."

I advise not to put the computer in the fridge. If you need to put the computer in the fridge because of heating issues there is something wrong with your computer and it should be taken to an authorized service center for evaluation.

Putting a computer in the fridge will/may cause condensation and water damage.

Aug 13, 2020 12:48 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

I've no intention of putting it in the fridge! I stop working and leave it alone. In about 3 minutes or so, the fan slows down and then stops. I leave it until it feels completely normal then start again, and within 5 minutes it's off again. My power came back on a few hours ago. I charged the Pro and have just been working on my lap (previously on a desk) for over an hour on the same task, it's no warmer than my lap and it's used 2% from the battery. I don't get it, the only difference was the lack of internet and I'm not even using the internet, I'm working on records downloaded months ago onto an older Mac and transferred to this one when I got it. I didn't get the same problem with the old Mac either

Macbook Pro overheating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.