Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

sound from the laptop when file operations are running

Hi,

I own a macbook pro 2020 version. I'm doing software development and when i run large file operations such as compiling, i'm getting a very low frequency sound which is similar to a CD Rom reading a CD. This only comes while the compilation is happening after compilation finish it goes away. Its not the CPU fan, because i monitor thee CPU temperature, the CPU fan only kicks in when the temperature is around 98 and 100. I also have herd this sound from dell laptops which has latest M2 SSDs and also read in internet that this sound is coming from SSD when high speed file operations are running.

Is that correct ? is this a normal sound i should expect from a SSD equipped laptop ?

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Aug 13, 2020 9:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2020 11:16 AM

Apple release a supplemental update for Catalina that may fix that. Download macOS Catalina 10.15.6 Supplemental Update.

5 replies

sound from the laptop when file operations are running

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.