Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't De-optimize Photos

My mother has recently asked me to clear her phone full of all her pictures so that she can sell it. Unfortunately, the reason she is getting rid of the phone is because of these pictures: they alone take up 4gb of her 16gb iphone. However, these pictures are not just normal ones, they are optimized with iCloud. I have heard that if the source device with the low-res optimized images is wiped, then the corresponding full sized images in our iCloud storage will be too. Now, I would just offload them using a mac I have, but it seems the optimized photos don't show up in the import section of the Photos app on the mac. From what I can tell, all signs tell me that I need to pull the full res versions from the icloud back on to my mother's phone, but there is no storage to fit them in during this transition period. The other option would be to download them from the icloud.com web portal, but I have thousands of images mixed in there from other devices we own. I don't want to download the images from the other devices, as there are likely many gigabytes of images. And from what I can tell, there is no way to filter by device source. My problem, in short, is as follows:

1. I can't de-optimize the photos, the phone doesn't have enough space

2. I can't use the iCloud web portal to download them, there are too many photos

3. I can't import them into the Photos app off the phone for some reason, they don't appear in the import pane.

Two solutions that might work that I can think of:

1. I'm missing some sort of filtering feature in the iCloud web portal that is not entirely obvious.

2. I need to add my mom's iCloud account on the mac I'm using so that I can access the photo stream and maybe there I can filter by device.

What is your take on this issue? do you think either of these solutions would work, or am I missing an entirely obvious solution? Please help.

The mac is a mid 2011 mac mini running macOS Sierra, I haven't signed in with my Apple ID yet because I'm borrowing it

The iPhone is a 6s with 16gb of storage, with the model identifier: "MKT72LL/A"

iPhone 6s, iOS 11

Posted on Aug 13, 2020 12:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2020 1:22 PM

You can perform all of the step in the following and it will not affect her photos or any other data on iCloud: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Normally that is what one would do when getting a new phone and then when iCloud Photos is turned on in the new phone, the photos will sync to it from iCloud. However, the issue you will have is "...but I have thousands of images mixed in there from other devices we own. ..." All of those will sync to the new device. Apple IDs are not designed to be shared (if that is what happened). Also, with iCloud Photos, all photos sync to all devices (that are using the same Apple ID) where iCloud Photos is turned on. The only option is the Optimize Storage option.

Re:

1. I'm missing some sort of filtering feature in the iCloud web portal that is not entirely obvious.

2. I need to add my mom's iCloud account on the mac I'm using so that I can access the photo stream and maybe there I can filter by device.

Neither of those -- there is no option to filter by device.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 13, 2020 1:22 PM in response to MichaelComputerMan

You can perform all of the step in the following and it will not affect her photos or any other data on iCloud: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Normally that is what one would do when getting a new phone and then when iCloud Photos is turned on in the new phone, the photos will sync to it from iCloud. However, the issue you will have is "...but I have thousands of images mixed in there from other devices we own. ..." All of those will sync to the new device. Apple IDs are not designed to be shared (if that is what happened). Also, with iCloud Photos, all photos sync to all devices (that are using the same Apple ID) where iCloud Photos is turned on. The only option is the Optimize Storage option.

Re:

Neither of those -- there is no option to filter by device.

I can't De-optimize Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.