Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Photos Library with pics from multiple users?

Hey all, so I have a new macbook coming, finally going to have to retire my late 2011 MBP. Still performing "OK", but it's time.....

Anyway, so I'm thinking I'm finally going to have to start using iCloud storage for pictures since all the new machines have smaller SSD's on them. My photos library is I think around 175GB, so I'd hate to just dedicate that space (and growing) to my new onboard drive. My wife and kids all have iphones and we're obviously all taking pictures. For years now, I've just been plugging my wife's phone in and importing her pics by wire to the Mac library and that's OK. However, since she has the "optimize iphone storage" box checked for her phone, at some point, iOS offloads pics from the phone to the cloud. After that happens, when I launch photos and plug her phone in, I won't see them as new items that need imported since they're no longer "local" to the phone.

How to deal with this? Since I don't know when this local to cloud even happens, I could potentially miss some keeper photos and I'd never know it, except to look at both screens side by side and compare, which is pretty tedious to do on a regular basis.

Suggestions? Thanks

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Apr 10, 2021 8:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2021 9:55 AM

Two ways I can think of.

Use family sharing and have a shared family album. Each user has to manually transfer images to that album, and size/quality is limited.

Or - export the images from your wife's phone to a shared iCloud drive folder. You can then import them to your library from there. I haven't tried it, but I'd expect this to transfer full size/quality images. Once imported, they could be deleted from the shared folder.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 10, 2021 9:55 AM in response to fatnecks

Two ways I can think of.

Use family sharing and have a shared family album. Each user has to manually transfer images to that album, and size/quality is limited.

Or - export the images from your wife's phone to a shared iCloud drive folder. You can then import them to your library from there. I haven't tried it, but I'd expect this to transfer full size/quality images. Once imported, they could be deleted from the shared folder.

Mac Photos Library with pics from multiple users?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.