Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac preparation/erase hard drive and reinstall Mac OS

I need to get my iMac ready to send back for the trade allowance towards the new Mac Mini.

When I try to go into macOS Recovery, the iMac will not do that after restart.

I hold the Command and R keys, nothing, I hold the Command + R keys, nothing.

I let go when the Apple logo comes up. No spinning wheel comes up. And no recovery window. Comes up as if just a normal restart.

So I try just disk utility and that start to erase the hard drive, then quits.

There is a photo below of what appears when I try to erase the hard drive.

The mac I am trying to erase is shown in the photo provided.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I need to erase the hard drive and reinstall macOS to get the value I was quoted for my trade.

Thanks in advance...

Photo 1: Trying to erase the hard drive.

Photo 2: iMac info.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Aug 13, 2020 3:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2020 3:51 PM

You can only erase the drive while started up in macOS Recovery or different startup disk.

see > How to erase a disk for Mac - Apple Support

If jumping the gun has unpaired your wireless keyboard connection, then you will need to use a USB keyboard to enter macOS Recovery.

Similar questions

12 replies

Aug 13, 2020 4:02 PM in response to den.thed

This is the problem. I can’t get the computer in recovery.

Blue tooth keyboard and mouse still work. There is even a different sound when holding down the command + R keys before the Apple logo comes back on.

This is where I am stuck. Can’t get into recovery....

It is Command key, + key and R key, right? Just in case I missed something in the instructions.

But, yet, nothing.....

Thanks

Aug 14, 2020 8:21 AM in response to den.thed

Okay. So now I feel dumb as ****.....

After trying again with the keys you suggested, still, nothing..

So. Now, remember, I have never done this, usually have all this done if I buy at our local shop, but, wanted to do this...

The instructions that came with the packaging to send back the iMac only states to "restart" the mac. Which is what I did and held down the command and R keys...Nothing.....So. I think to myself, shutdown and restart and hold down the keys.

Bingo.....That worked....

Keep in mind, to me, just plain restart, means just do a restart. Not shut down and restart. The instructions should be a bit more clear because I took it literally as others may do.....

Came back up in recovery mode, erased the hard drive and re-installed macOS.

All my info is gone except my name still comes up on the mac, but, no contacts, no info. signed out of iTunes and deauthorized, turned off Find My Mac, etc.

So. Would I be correct that this mac is safe to return and the fact that just my name comes up, something like Craig's mac or whatever, would not hurt the trade?

Thank you for your help and patience with me.

I do appreciate it.

Craig

iMac preparation/erase hard drive and reinstall Mac OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.