Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

InstantEffect / VSDViewerVSDConverter

I could use some advice / suggestions on how to get rid of a pop-up on my MacBook that says ...

"InstantEffect will damage your computer You should move it to the Trash. There's a click box for: Report malware to Apple to protect other users. The click options provided are "Move to Trash" and "Cancel".

It is obviously a "malware" that I could get rid of, after cleaning out Advance Mac-Cleaner / amc related plists, in folders: Applications, Library, LaunchAgents, LaunchDaemons, System Preferences, Force Quitting Safari, holding down Shift in starting Safari, Emptying Trash, Rebooting, etc. My system preferences only allow downloads from "good" sites.

I did not want to click on "Move to Trash" button, assuming that it will start something else. When I click on Cancel, the same pop-up message appears showing "VSDViewer/VSDConverter" will damage your computer.... etc.

I haven't figured out which app is running this in my Activity Monitor. or where this originates from (so I won't catch this "bug" again. I thought I've always been careful about clicking on links, etc. Guess I'm just not careful enough ... :-)

Where else should I look, to clean out this pop-up ?

Thank you for your assistance and advice.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 13, 2020 5:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2020 7:05 PM

If it is truly adware, Malwarebytes will identify and remove it. Get Malwarebytes only from the developer's site. The deveoper is a valued contributor here:

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

Similar questions

2 replies

InstantEffect / VSDViewerVSDConverter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.