Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OSX 10.15 Printer Presets Bug - Forces Paper Feed to Manual Input Tray

Using the latest Xerox driver for my ColorQube 8580DN with two trays, the Manual Feed, (Tray 1 MPT), and Installed Tray, (Tray 2), my OSX 10.15 MBP system won't use Tray 2 unless I explicitly select it. Otherwise it forces all print jobs to use the Manual Feed Tray 1, paper tray.

I believe this started with the introduction of the Printer Presets feature and has persisted through OSX upgrades. The situation began after I had selected the Manual Feed Tray 1 to print an envelope and appears to have been "stuck" ever since.

The "Default" printer preset paper feed is always set to Auto Select, but using it always forces print jobs to the Manual Feed tray. I can only print from the installed Tray 2, when I explicitly select it in the printer dialog. After I explicitly select Tray 2 the "Last" printer preset does show the paper feed used, as Tray 2.

However, the "Current" printer preset always shows the paper feed as the Manual Feed Tray 1. I've tried checking the box for "Reset Presets Menu settings to 'Default Settings' After Printing", and it has no effect. Also, if I explicitly print to Tray 2, and try to save those options as a new printer preset, when I then look at the Paper Feed selection for the newly created preset, it's always Manual Feed Tray 1.

I've tried the OSX printer reset option, then rebooting and reinstalling the driver, deleting the printer and everything in /Library/Printers, emptying the trash, rebooting and then reinstalling the driver, and nothing has worked.

I don't know if this is an issue with the Xerox driver, or the OSX Printer Presets feature. I do notice after installing the Xerox driver it annoyingly has Paper Feed tray selections for 3 trays. One for the Manual Feed Tray 1, One for the Tray 1 MPT, (what Xerox calls the manual feed tray), and One for Tray 2.

If someone knows of some effective way to delete the Printer presets and "reset" things, please feel free to respond.

TIA.

Posted on Aug 13, 2020 7:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2020 5:28 AM

I found a workaround fix for this issue in the Xerox Community forums, in the following thread;

https://forum.support.xerox.com/t5/Printing/Bug-with-Mac-OS-10-15-4-and-Phaser-7100-driver-5-5-2/td-p/232315

This is the post with the workaround fix;

https://forum.support.xerox.com/t5/Printing/Bug-with-Mac-OS-10-15-4-and-Phaser-7100-driver-5-5-2/m-p/234643#M22107

This issue was described in that thread as a known macOS bug affecting all Xerox printers, which is targeted to be fixed in macOS 11. I was able to use the workaround to solve my issue by performing the following steps;

I located the gzipped PPD file for my Xerox ColorQube 8580DN, in the /Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources folder with the filename "Xerox ColorQube 8580DN.gz".

I then double clicked it, which unzipped it to my Downloads folder. Opening the file there with TextEdit, I then located the line with;

*DefaultInputSlot:

(line 813), and then edited it to read;

*DefaultInputSlot: automatic

I also edited the following line;

(Line 13) *NickName: "Xerox ColorQube 8580DN-2, 5.6.0"

adding the "-2" so I can find it in the Printer list. Then I saved it with the filename of "Xerox ColorQube 8580DN-2", and moved it to the /Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources folder.

Then I just opened up System Preferences to add a new printer, entered in my existing 8580DN printer by IP address, then selected the entry for "Xerox ColorQube 8580DN-2". After installing, my MBP will now finally, print from the installed printer tray correctly.

Good Luck..

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2020 5:28 AM in response to jasn

I found a workaround fix for this issue in the Xerox Community forums, in the following thread;

https://forum.support.xerox.com/t5/Printing/Bug-with-Mac-OS-10-15-4-and-Phaser-7100-driver-5-5-2/td-p/232315

This is the post with the workaround fix;

https://forum.support.xerox.com/t5/Printing/Bug-with-Mac-OS-10-15-4-and-Phaser-7100-driver-5-5-2/m-p/234643#M22107

This issue was described in that thread as a known macOS bug affecting all Xerox printers, which is targeted to be fixed in macOS 11. I was able to use the workaround to solve my issue by performing the following steps;

I located the gzipped PPD file for my Xerox ColorQube 8580DN, in the /Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources folder with the filename "Xerox ColorQube 8580DN.gz".

I then double clicked it, which unzipped it to my Downloads folder. Opening the file there with TextEdit, I then located the line with;

*DefaultInputSlot:

(line 813), and then edited it to read;

*DefaultInputSlot: automatic

I also edited the following line;

(Line 13) *NickName: "Xerox ColorQube 8580DN-2, 5.6.0"

adding the "-2" so I can find it in the Printer list. Then I saved it with the filename of "Xerox ColorQube 8580DN-2", and moved it to the /Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources folder.

Then I just opened up System Preferences to add a new printer, entered in my existing 8580DN printer by IP address, then selected the entry for "Xerox ColorQube 8580DN-2". After installing, my MBP will now finally, print from the installed printer tray correctly.

Good Luck..

OSX 10.15 Printer Presets Bug - Forces Paper Feed to Manual Input Tray

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.