Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Static screen when opening MacBook Pro

This has happened twice now and it is a little annoying however i am more worried about possible hardware defects than annoyances. When i open up my MacBook Pro 2020 13" base model. It comes up with a static screen, i have attached a photo and it only happens on the main display, not the touchbar. it is fixed by a simple hold power button to force shut down and it works fine after booting again. This is completely random so i feel going to an apple store could be pointless as it would be hard for them to find out whats going on without them seeing the issue first hand. I have contacted Apple and they said basic stuff like resetting the SMC and NVRAM and it has not happened again after that but it has only happened twice in total and they where both weeks apart? what should i do? is this a known problem? Thanks in advanced for any help.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 14, 2020 2:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2020 10:50 AM

Hello Gamer_jam123,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

From reading your post, it appears you have contacted Apple Support and walked through a reset of SMC and NVRAM. This issue of the static screen has returned randomly, correct? We're here to help you take a look in to that!

Great work on walk through those troubleshooting steps! Before going into additional software troubleshooting, a backup of the data on the device would be encouraged to Time Machine:

Back up your Mac with Time Machine

Next step would be to re-install the macOS:

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery

If the issue persists, we would encourage you to Contact Apple Support to book an appointment at an Apple Retail Store or Authorized Apple Service Provider.

Hopefully this helps!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2020 10:50 AM in response to Gamer_jam123

Hello Gamer_jam123,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

From reading your post, it appears you have contacted Apple Support and walked through a reset of SMC and NVRAM. This issue of the static screen has returned randomly, correct? We're here to help you take a look in to that!

Great work on walk through those troubleshooting steps! Before going into additional software troubleshooting, a backup of the data on the device would be encouraged to Time Machine:

Back up your Mac with Time Machine

Next step would be to re-install the macOS:

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery

If the issue persists, we would encourage you to Contact Apple Support to book an appointment at an Apple Retail Store or Authorized Apple Service Provider.

Hopefully this helps!

Static screen when opening MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.