Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

hide photos option and delete

why to use hide photos? why I can't delete photos from the previews folder that I moved the photos?

I don't want to duplicate the photo I just want to put it in an album

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 14, 2020 3:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2020 5:34 AM

What do you mean by the "The Previews folder"? I am not seeing an item with this name in the sidebar.

The "Hide" feature is helpful for temporarily removing photos from the predefined albums created for you by Photos automatically. It is relevant for all albums in the Library section of the sidebar and the albums in the "Media" folder. These albums are created and populated by Photos automatically, based on the photos in your Photos Library. As long as a photo is in your library, it will appear in the matching albums. If you hide a photo or video, Photos will no longer use it for Memories or automatically generated albums, like the Places. By hiding a photo you can prevent Photos from showing it on the map or adding it to a memory. I am using this frequently to prevent Photos from using the most embarrassing or ugly photos for Memories or the Places map.

Create your own albums, if you want to have an album, where you can remove photos without having to delete them or to hide them.

For example, if you want to have an album, showing all photos not yet in an album, use a smart album.

• File > New Smart album
  • Set the rule to "Album is not Any.

This album will show you all photos you have never added to an album.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2020 5:34 AM in response to DanaShen

What do you mean by the "The Previews folder"? I am not seeing an item with this name in the sidebar.

The "Hide" feature is helpful for temporarily removing photos from the predefined albums created for you by Photos automatically. It is relevant for all albums in the Library section of the sidebar and the albums in the "Media" folder. These albums are created and populated by Photos automatically, based on the photos in your Photos Library. As long as a photo is in your library, it will appear in the matching albums. If you hide a photo or video, Photos will no longer use it for Memories or automatically generated albums, like the Places. By hiding a photo you can prevent Photos from showing it on the map or adding it to a memory. I am using this frequently to prevent Photos from using the most embarrassing or ugly photos for Memories or the Places map.

Create your own albums, if you want to have an album, where you can remove photos without having to delete them or to hide them.

For example, if you want to have an album, showing all photos not yet in an album, use a smart album.

• File > New Smart album
  • Set the rule to "Album is not Any.

This album will show you all photos you have never added to an album.

hide photos option and delete

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.