Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Saving and Deleting Photos

If you add photos to an album and then delete it from recents why does it delete it from the album? I only want the photos stored in that album and out of my recents. Is there a way to just have photos in an album only. Kind of like how the Hide folder works.

iPhone 14 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Jun 11, 2023 10:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2023 11:26 AM

Recents isn't a place. Like an album it's a list of images that display together.

In Photos, every photo is in the Library, everything else is a subset of that. That's not going to change. It's the very heart of how the app works.

6 replies

Jun 11, 2023 11:16 AM in response to Neicygirl

I would not hold my breath. It would require a complete redesign of how Photos has been designed to be working, and its predecessors, iPhoto and Aperture.

The photo libraries of all of Apple's photo managers have been designed to store each photo only once in the library and the albums are just referencing the one copy in the library. All the predefined albums (Imports, Recents, etc.) are automatically created for us and populated by Photos, based on all photos in the library. To remove a photo from the predefined albums we have to delete it completely from the Photos library. we simply cannot modify the predefined albums without deleting phots everywhere. But we are free to modify any album we create ourselves.

If you are looking for an album where you can distribute your photos from to other albums, create a new album "My Recents" and add all new recently imported photos to this album. Then, whenever you add a photo from "My Recents" to another album, remove it afterwards from "My Recents". It will stay in the other albums you added it to.

Saving and Deleting Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.